Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
- 27'iMac Retina (no DVD drive but have unopened new USB apple USB super drive)
- Late 2011 MBP with a built in DVD drive

I have an MRI on CD i need to make a copy of. Not sure how to do it..

I have a brand new still sealed USB superdrive but don't want to open it JUST for this one chore if i am never going to use it again.
But if i am, I won't mind.

On the other hand, I do have a built in drive on the 2011 MBP but the SuperDrive is brand new, latest version and they don't work on the older MPB. So it will only work on the new iMac otherwise i could have hooked it to the MBP and copied it.

Not sure what do to OR.........is there any feature built into the 2011 MBP that would enable me to rip the CD to a .iso and burn it to DVD or CD?

I don't at present have any burning software on either mac as its not something I ever do...

Any ideas? ;)

( i don't have a store around me that i can get to in time of needing this CD handed in elsewhere)

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Disk utility will copy the CD into a CD image and then burn to another CD. Disk Utility has a couple copy options, make sure you pick the right CD or DVD kind, I don't think you want Data, but perhaps its a don't care for a CD. I used Disk utility to back up a number of DVDs.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I suspect you are over-thinking this.
The MRI is probably just a file (or a set of files) on the CD.
Insert your MRI CD in your MBP (if you don't want to use the superdrive with your new iMac.)
Option-drag the CD icon to a convenient spot on your desktop, and let the copy begin by releasing the trackpad button.
When that finishes, eject the MRI CD.
Insert a blank CD-R (or DVD-R if the disk is actually a DVD)
Drag the files in the folder that you just made to the DVD.
When you eject the CD, your Mac will copy the files. The CD doesn't actually burn the files until you eject the CD, so that eject process will not complete until the file burn is complete... So, give it a couple of minutes to finish(possibly).
The CD ejects, and - that's it!

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Disk utility will copy the CD into a CD image and then burn to another CD. Disk Utility has a couple copy options, make sure you pick the right CD or DVD kind, I don't think you want Data, but perhaps its a don't care for a CD. I used Disk utility to back up a number of DVDs.

Thank you. I will keep this for future use as it will come up for me again.

I suspect you are over-thinking this.
The MRI is probably just a file (or a set of files) on the CD.
Insert your MRI CD in your MBP (if you don't want to use the superdrive with your new iMac.)
Option-drag the CD icon to a convenient spot on your desktop, and let the copy begin by releasing the trackpad button.
When that finishes, eject the MRI CD.
Insert a blank CD-R (or DVD-R if the disk is actually a DVD)
Drag the files in the folder that you just made to the DVD.
When you eject the CD, your Mac will copy the files. The CD doesn't actually burn the files until you eject the CD, so that eject process will not complete until the file burn is complete... So, give it a couple of minutes to finish(possibly).
The CD ejects, and - that's it!

You're right.
I was reading ColdCases answer and then as soon as i saw yours, I realized you are likely right.
I was likely overthinking it.
I dont know what possessed me to think i needed to make an .iso from it, etc....

Thank you.......one of those "Doh" moments :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.