Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr_white

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just wondering if anyone can give me some clarity around this scenario?

I have 1.3TB of data in my iCloud Drive and a new M1 MacBook Pro with just the 256SSD. I have "Optimise Mac Storage" enabled on this Mac with almost every file in that 1.3TB not stored locally on the machine. It's pretty much all in the cloud only.

What I'm wanting to do it get every single folder and file I have on iCloud Drive, and back them up on a 2TB external drive.

My question is, if I select all the folders on my iCloud Drive and copy/paste them to a 2TB external drive, will it download those files to the MacBook first, before then copying the files to the external drive? And if so, would "Optimise Mac..." play along and delete the files off the Mac to make way for the next lot of files?

I guess what I'm hoping for is a beautifully orchestrated operation where the Mac will download the files, copy them over to the external drive, and then remove those local files off the Mac SSD to make way for the next lot that it's downloading.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Go to AppleID.Apple.com and request all your iCloud data. In a few days, Apple will provide you the download link to your iCloud data. It will all be zipped and sorted just like you have it already. Then just drag and drop the zip files to your external drive.

I did this a week ago.

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.