Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I have several albums on my iPhone 13 that I previously had on my 8 Plus. They are from a number of sources, including discs I bought and copied to my PC and then to the iPhone, some others digitally purchased/downloaded from Amazon, etc. I cannot seem to figure out how to copy them from the 13 to the iPad - syncing won’t work now (sync from phone to itunes on the computer, then sync back to the iPad). Also AirDrop no longer can be used to transfer music. Does anybody have a clue? Thanks . . . . .

I may just take both devices over to my local Apple Store (walking distance from mi casa) and ask them to do it. I’ve had both for less than a month.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Mark, you know what iphones/ipads are like (i.e rubbish at file management), hence you should really keep all your music on iTunes via a Mac or PC and then sync all your music/videos to your ios devices to keep things simple.

I remember back in the day with my 4th Gen Ipod Classic, I had a similar issue and on iTunes there was an option for 'consolidate files', which essentially copied my iPods music to iTunes on a PC.

Anyway, good luck I hope the Apple store sort this for you.

Reactions: Mark Stone

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Solved! I just needed to add the music, which was already on my PC, to the iTunes library, then it synced easily to the iPad. Thanks to @snipr125 for responding. Lol I guess no one else knows how to do it?

• Love
Reactions: snipr125

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Solved! I just needed to add the music, which was already on my PC, to the iTunes library, then it synced easily to the iPad. Thanks to @snipr125 for responding. Lol I guess no one else knows how to do it?
I was confused by your comment "syncing won’t work now" - I thought you had problems with your PCs. I have a few thousand ripped MP3's (from CD's I own) on my NAS that I put on my iPads & iPhone using iTunes - I don't know any other way to do it.

Reactions: Mark Stone

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I was confused by your comment "syncing won’t work now" - I thought you had problems with your PCs. I have a few thousand ripped MP3's (from CD's I own) on my NAS that I put on my iPads & iPhone using iTunes - I don't know any other way to do it.
In the old days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth (namely 2016 when I got my first iPhone SE), iTunes would automatically sync all music on the PC to an iDevice without the step of creating an iTunes library. I wasn’t aware that the step of manually placing songs into the library was necessary until I visited the Apple help page earlier this evening.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In the old days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth (namely 2016 when I got my first iPhone SE), iTunes would automatically sync all music on the PC to an iDevice without the step of creating an iTunes library. I wasn’t aware that the step of manually placing songs into the library was necessary until I visited the Apple help page earlier this evening.

No it doesn't. It only syncs songs that are already in the iTunes library. I've got plenty of MP3s on portable drives that don't get synced to my iDevices.

Granted, I remember initial setup of iTunes used to include asking to scan your PC for music files (which it then automatically adds to the iTunes library).

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
No it doesn't. It only syncs songs that are already in the iTunes library. I've got plenty of MP3s on portable drives that don't get synced to my iDevices.

Granted, I remember initial setup of iTunes used to include asking to scan your PC for music files (which it then automatically adds to the iTunes library).
“No it doesn’t”? Lol you completely agreed with what I said.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
“No it doesn’t”? Lol you completely agreed with what I said.

I was referring to this part of your post.

In the old days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth (namely 2016 when I got my first iPhone SE), iTunes would automatically sync all music on the PC to an iDevice without the step of creating an iTunes library.

Even back in the iPod days, music needed to be in the iTunes library before it would sync. Actual file location could be in any folder on your drive but they had to be scanned/added to the iTunes library in order to sync.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I was referring to this part of your post.

Even back in the iPod days, music needed to be in the iTunes library before it would sync. Actual file location could be in any folder on your drive but they had to be scanned/added to the iTunes library in order to sync.
I’ve synced to both an iPhone SE and an iPhone 8 Plus using iTunes without the songs being in the iTunes library. I don’t remember whether it was an automatic process, or whether the iTunes software gave me an option to sync directly from the PC. That’s what threw me off when I tried the sync with the iPad.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’ve synced to both an iPhone SE and an iPhone 8 Plus using iTunes without the songs being in the iTunes library. I don’t remember whether it was an automatic process, or whether the iTunes software gave me an option to sync directly from the PC. That’s what threw me off when I tried the sync with the iPad.

Weird. In my 20 years using iTunes it has always only synced what it has in the library with the exception of music bought from Apple directly.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Weird. In my 20 years using iTunes it has always only synced what it has in the library with the exception of music bought from Apple directly.
Definitely weird - but with my memory, who knows? I may have put them in the iTunes library and completely forgot about it lol. Memory is a bit fickle these days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.