Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicksoper

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Hi MR forum members. Been a while since I posted here but still a huge fan.

I have a problem I would like your help with. I am based in South Africa and iCloud drive is very slow - it took 7 days to just do the initial indexing of all my files when I got a new laptop :eek: [update: I have a 1Gbps Home Fibre connection, also tried over ethernet]. In contrast, Dropbox is able to show the index of file in a few minutes and iCloud files are visible via the web interface immediately too.

Because of this, I used the feature to get a copy of all my iCloud drive files from Apple. The problem is that the export Apple provides is split into multiple ZIP files, and then each Zip contains multiple ZIP files.

To compound the problem is that each ZIP file has the same folder structure, so you end up with many (~30 in my case) folders with the same folder structure and it's not trivial or practical to merge them back together due to the deep folder structures of each.

I have tried using the 'Ditto' command in Terminal, but wasn't convinced this worked as the overall file size of the resulting folder didn't end up being the same as what iCloud drive said.

I see there is an 'rsync' option, but was wondering if there was a simple (GUI preferably) and safe way to merge and extract multiple zip files, or extract and then merge multiple ZIP files.

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 11.16.12.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.