Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
A little thought exercise for those of us who use both: if you could choose only one thing from Android to copy over into iOS (and vice versa), what would it be? It can be a feature, an app, an ecosystem, hardware or just something one OS does a lot better than the other one... nothing is off the table but you're only allowed one pick for each!

Android to iOS: With the recent rumours that we might finally be getting default app settings and home screen widgets, it has to be Android's notifications system for me. Just literally copy it wholesale including the ability to make them viewable with a swipe down on the home screen instead of the search menu. Notifications on iOS are a pain to access, are very limited in what they can do or display and dismissing them requires an additional menu selection or a second swipe. Also let me see and action them on my Mac like you can using third party Android tools!

iOS to Android: In the past I would have said updates but with Android Mainline this isn't the problem it used to be and those who want longterm support for updates and security patches can buy a Pixel or Nokia phone. Now I would go with iPad OS and Google making a version of Android dedicated to tablets. Android on tablets has gone from having a lot of potential with devices sporting all sorts of screen sizes and functionality that the iPad was not fulfilling to being a barren wasteland for the last 5 years. Devs aren't going to care about making good Android tablet apps nor are OEMs going to make good Android tablets if even Google aren't interested. Competition is healthy and right now the iPad doesn't have any.

I am interested to see what matters to other forumites and who will get their wishes fulfilled with Android R and iOS 14. :)

Reactions: servenvolley

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Android to iOS: UI customization - themes, icon packs, fonts, launchers etc.

iOS to Android: one glaring thing for me - iMessage. That'll never happen but hey one can always hope. ;-)

Reactions: motulist

Aika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
iOS to Android: one glaring thing for me - iMessage. That'll never happen but hey one can always hope. ;-)

I wish Apple had done that years ago. Now Whatsapp is entrenched and even iPhone users are using it as their main messaging app in Europe. A real wasted opportunity.

Reactions: motm95 and motulist

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Android to iOS:

Since it's still just rumor and may be limited to only a few types of apps, I'd still say selection of default apps. But if we want to assume that change may be coming in iOS 14, my second choice would be the better home screen customization and app drawer of Android.

iOS to Android:

Better integration of 3rd party password management apps across the OS. This is still done far better on iOS...far more seamless. It's something I use probably dozens of times a day and one of the reasons my Android phone is not my daily driver.

But to be honest, if I'm afforded a bit of leeway with my pick since it's not actually part of iOS, I'd actually take watchOS and it's ecosystem. The single biggest reason I won't switch off my iPhone entirely is my Apple Watch. There is nothing remotely close to it in the Android ecosystem.

Last edited:

Aika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
But to be honest, if I'm afforded a bit of leeway with my pick since it's not actually part of iOS, I'd actually take watchOS and it's ecosystem. The single biggest reason I won't switch off my iPhone entirely is my Apple Watch. There is nothing remotely close to it in the Android ecosystem.

Another good pick. As a former user of Android Wear it's sad how badly that platform has stagnated. Apple Watch keeps getting better year on year while Google have sort of forgotten that Wear OS exists.

Aika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
They tried this, it was called Honeycomb and didn't last more than one version.

Honeycomb was a transitionary version of Android that wasn't even around for a year before ICS came along, so they haven't tried an iPad OS equivalent.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Android>iOS home screen customization, and alphabetical app drawer

iOS>android iMessage and continuity

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Android to IOS: customization, app drawer, AOD, ability to run apps simultaneously, back button, and notifications.

iOS to Android: iMessage, password management, and continuity.

Note: WhatsApp works as well as iMessage for my family's purposes and password management/continuity are improving quickly now. Updates used to be an issue on Android, esp Samsung, but not anymore.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Android to iOS: twin apps, phone functionality on iPad, multi user support, ability to update first party apps independent from OS updates

iOS to Android: 5 year OS support, nvme storage, taptic engine, FaceID, Airdrop

Those are ones on top of my head.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Besides what's already been mentioned above ........... Some are Samsung features since I use Samsung the most on Android.

Android to iOS:

Unrestricted Bluetooth.
Clear All button on recents.
Duel Messenger.
More settings within apps themselves. Instead of going to main settings menu.
Faster scrolling.
More robust volume control.
Choice to have just a dot on the app and folder, without displaying a number on the badge.
Bluetooth and Wifi toggles that actually turn them OFF, instead of just temporary disconnecting.
Pin app(s) to always remain open. Even if the limit is just one, I'll be happy.
Double tap power button for camera. (Nothing beats this shortcut!!).
Secure Folder. (This would be VERY welcomed on any iOS device).

iOS to Android:

Full encrypted backup via desktop.
Bluetooth device battery icon on status bar.
TV Provider single sign on.
Tap to top.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Android to iOS
Split screen apps
Home screen customisation
Stylus support for the iPhone
Picture in picture for iPhone
DeX like feature for the iPhone.

iOS to android:

Better Integration between devices
More robust ecosystem
Robust password management
Robust backups
Updates
Customer support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.