Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m the co-developer of a small app called iFont. Recently, it’s come to our attention that another app has been published on the App Store with a very similar name, icon, and even using our copy word-for-word in screenshots. They have also copied large parts of one of our competitor’s store description.

Is there anything we can/should do? It doesn’t seem very popular at the moment but I don’t want our potential customers being confused and our brand to be damaged considering our app is relatively popular in our small niche.

Obviously we welcome competition but this feels like someone is trying to profit off the goodwill we have tried to create with users.

Anyone with any advice in a similar position would be welcomed.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi

I’m the co-developer of a small app called iFont. Recently, it’s come to our attention that another app has been published on the App Store with a very similar name, icon, and even using our copy word-for-word in screenshots. They have also copied large parts of one of our competitor’s store description.

Is there anything we can/should do? It doesn’t seem very popular at the moment but I don’t want our potential customers being confused and our brand to be damaged considering our app is relatively popular in our small niche.

Obviously we welcome competition but this feels like someone is trying to profit off the goodwill we have tried to create with users.

Anyone with any advice in a similar position would be welcomed.
Go here and report them:
https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/appstorenotices/#?lang=en

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.