Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James O.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Hi there..

I have a 2009 Mac Pro with a lot of my old data on it. I am trying to copy my Aperture library onto an external drive and it's surprisingly difficult.

First, my library is about 70GB. When I first tried to copy the library to an external drive, it went very, very slowly and ultimately seemed to stop about 10 percent of the way through. I let it go, and it just showed copying but didn't move from the amount it had already copied for about ten hours. So I tried to stop the copy, ultimately had to force quit finder because it wouldn't stop the copy even after being left for hours.

Then I thought to myself, an aperture library is actually a package...so maybe I should compress it, and the copy process will go more smoothly (my theory here is that when copying packages, the package is rebuilt file by file or something like that which slows it down a lot)

But of course, when I want to do this, I am going to duplicate the aperture library. So, I right click and choose duplicate. Almost a full day later, finder is still 'thinking' about that and it shows a progress of zero bytes. It hasn't actually started duplicating yet.

I'm looking for ideas on how to get this aperture library copied across. Kinda frustrated at this point!

Anyone?

thanks!

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.