Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
With the Core 2 duo's now shipping, has anyone with a Mac mini upgraded theirs to the new chips? If I had a core solo, I would greatly consider buying a 2.4Ghz Core 2 duo chip for only 300 dollars. The improvement in performance should greatly be worth that. I remember hearing that it was possible but this was before the chips were officially announced. I was also wondering since the new chips support a faster bus, could this also be changed on the mini, or would they just run with a slower bus?
Thanks,

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Nope, it is not worth it, you will lose you warranty and you will need to get rid of the old chip. Might as well just sell it and buy another unit when the core2 ones are released, Core 2 is not going to chunk > 50% off the current Minis resale.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wchong said:
it is possible to see an increase in performance. as to how much, that's debatable.

Well, the improvement over the Core Duo is small... but the improvement over the Core Solo the OP mentioned should be fairly substantial! ;)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
$300 for a C2D 2.4? Where?

Wish they were remotely near that here. Over in the UK the only time I've seen them they're double that price.

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
bigandy said:
$300 for a C2D 2.4? Where?

Well, the are $330 over at newegg.com so i would think, a good core solo mine for like $600, add a C2D 2.4 and you have a pretty fast computer for $930.
Does anyone know what happens to the bus on the mini since the C2D supports FSD of 1066 Mhz and the CD only 667?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.