Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
When the light goes green for a core 2 duo macbook, i'm off to the apple store that day for sure. This is exactly why i've been waiting to get a Macbook, the next question is however, what color Macbook do i buy?

Hehe, I'm in exactly the same situation. Waiting for the C2D version but can't decide on color. I'm a bit afraid that the white one will get discolored, and it seems more prone to getting scratched. The black one seems to attract more fingerprints though (at least they are more visible). I will probably go for the cheapest white version though since I don't need that much power on the road.

paeza

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Canberra, Australia
News from Canada...

I HAD a Macbook 2GHz (white) I just bought from Best Buy (in Canada) two weeks ago for $1449CDN which was the same price as the the Macbook on the Apple.ca store. At this time, all the other Apple resellers had Macbooks for the same price as Apple.ca

The reason why I returned is it is because I think an update is imminent. The Macbook that I bought was price dropped to $1399 (still $1449 on the Apple Canada webstore) on the Best Buy Canada webstore:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10075463&logon=&langid=EN

And they still have some in-stock at the time of this posting...

As well, all other major stores I checked out that are Apple Canada resellers do NOT have any more stock. They all HAD stock two weeks ago when I was shopping for my Macbook. But now, they have NONE.

Futureshop, $1449, no stock
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10075463&catid=23016

Compusmart, $1449, no stock
http://www.compusmart.com/Product/Default.aspx?SupplierPartNo=805302

There is only one major chain store that has stock, and that is Staples.

Hope MB comes out soon. neeed it real bad

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
Play.com also listed the Shuffle with an incorrect shipping date for quite sometime.

But, I noticed that we've got full suit of MacBooks on the uk refurb store for the first time - significant?

pabloneill

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
Hey all,

First post!I decided to buy a black MB about six weeks ago...but i haven't been able to,as there have been none in stock in any stores here in Dublin.I just got a call from a store saying that they were expecting a large shipment to Ireland this wednesday and will be available for purchase on Thursday....My two cents worth there will be core 2 duo macbooks announced tomorrow...Hopefully!!!

alexchilton

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
yeah, i dunno if it means anything, but i ordered a mb oct. 12th from a reseller in toronto, and i'm still waiting...

xavier2k3

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
Hehe, I'm in exactly the same situation. Waiting for the C2D version but can't decide on color. I'm a bit afraid that the white one will get discolored, and it seems more prone to getting scratched. The black one seems to attract more fingerprints though (at least they are more visible). I will probably go for the cheapest white version though since I don't need that much power on the road.

Well i'll be getting the highest spec one myself, and putting an 80gb drive in it and upgrading the ram myself for cheaper. I saw a white demo in a pc store recently and it was really grubby on the inside from use. It didn't look pretty, meanwhile, the black looked great. But is black going against the grain and of the traditional white mac/ibook, that's my only quibble. Decisions decisions....

regards
--marty

bmsamson

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Hey all,

First post!I decided to buy a black MB about six weeks ago...but i haven't been able to,as there have been none in stock in any stores here in Dublin.I just got a call from a store saying that they were expecting a large shipment to Ireland this wednesday and will be available for purchase on Thursday....My two cents worth there will be core 2 duo macbooks announced tomorrow...Hopefully!!!

oh please, let it be so. been waiting since july to buy my MB, and tired of all this. on the other hand, if they get a big shipment and they're not c2d, does that mean it won't be, as some have suggested, till 07? of course we'll all be checking the store tuesday, so by wed. it'll be moot if the update is there tues, but keep us posted.......

mautal

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2006
California
blackbooks are sexy

Well i'll be getting the highest spec one myself, and putting an 80gb drive in it and upgrading the ram myself for cheaper. I saw a white demo in a pc store recently and it was really grubby on the inside from use. It didn't look pretty, meanwhile, the black looked great. But is black going against the grain and of the traditional white mac/ibook, that's my only quibble. Decisions decisions....

i'll admit that the blackbooks are very very sexy.. yet... if you look @ the white 2.0... it has all the same specs, minus the standard 80gb hd, which only cost $50 to upgrade anyways... so basically you will be paying $150 for black... i'ld rather save that 150... (make it 200 b/c im going white 2.0ghz stock) and use that 200 too buy ram and a larger hd on newegg

hagakure

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
would the c2d fix the MB crash?

Hi, I am writing from Chile, South America
I have also been waiting a lot for buying a MB. I hope the upgrade comes soon. Nevertheless, I have been a bit disappointed by the news of MB continuous crashes...Do you think this problem will be solved with the c2d MB??? Do you think it can be a failure which might be worth a second thought on buying an MB? Thanks

I had a Macintosh back in 89 and can´t wait to get back to a Mac...

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
If you're referring to Random Shutdown Syndrome it should be resolved by now. However you can never be completely sure that you'll have no problems, that's what the guarantee is there for...

hagakure

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
Thanks for the note...Dane0. And yes, I was refering to the Shutdown syndrome...I hope they have got it fixed by now.

pabloneill

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
Originally Posted by pabloneill
Hey all,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also been waiting a lot for buying a MB. I hope the upgrade comes soon. Nevertheless, I have been a bit disappointed by the news of MB continuous crashes...Do you think this problem will be solved with the c2d MB??? Do you think it can be a failure which might be worth a second thought on buying an MB? Thanks

I hate to go back on my original post,but taught i should mention it......one of the sales people in the store i'm getting my MB from said a few weeks ago,that the reason for the delay with the MB's was because were fixing the randon shutdown issue and would not be releasing anymore until this issue had been fixed...........

?maniac

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
Originally Posted by pabloneill
Hey all,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to go back on my original post,but taught i should mention it......one of the sales people in the store i'm getting my MB from said a few weeks ago,that the reason for the delay with the MB's was because were fixing the randon shutdown issue and would not be releasing anymore until this issue had been fixed...........

That random shutdown issue did not affect that many people less than 1/100th of a percent. In my agency we have about 200 MacBooks all bought in May, and not one of them have had that issue.

junkster

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I've been on the verge of buying an Intel Mac notebook since the MBP was first announced. I hestitated with the MBP, because it was both version 1.0 and a bit pricey. It was also larger than the iBook I was originally eyeing. I'm glad I waited, after all the MBP problems came to light.

Then when the MB came along, ooh was I tempted. But again 1.0. The Core 2 Duo rumors started immediately, too. Again, I was glad I waited, primarily because of the heat issue.

Since the MBP C2D hit two weeks ago, I've been hovering over the "buy now" button. I almost purchased it at least twice. But I finally realized that I value battery life and portability over power, and at the same time the MB is a hugely powerful machine by any standard. The "weak" point is 3D, but come on, I've developed commercial 3D games on machines with lesser graphics cards.

The bottom line is that I'm going to order a white MB the day the C2D models are available. It's fast, it's slick, and I'll save money both on the base machine and $100 on AppleCare. I'll use some of the extra cash to beef up the memory. Honestly, if Apple made black be only $100 extra, I'd probably go for it too, but it's just fluff. The white is still awesome.

newno55

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2006
Hey guys.... well i've been frequenting this site for about 4 months now and i've FINIALLY decided to join.

I know im probably the last person to offer my opinion in the matter of apple products, but i just find it hard to believe that apple can release a laptop and just sit on it for 6 months... no update, no speed bump.The computer industry never stops... ever haha.... Even apple... doesn't stop (For long, haha)

I know everyone is freaking out waiting for this (ive been waiting for months now) but its just a matter of time. If this was my company, or your company i would sure as **** have our best selling laptop re-vamped before the holidays.

Just hold on a bit more guys!!

CeCe

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Canada
It makes sense for Apple to have the updated MB out before the holidays, at least marketing wise.

I'm like everyone else here, waiting (trying to be patient).......

I saw a white demo in a pc store recently and it was really grubby on the inside from use. It didn't look pretty, meanwhile, the black looked great. But is black going against the grain and of the traditional white mac/ibook, that's my only quibble. Decisions decisions....

I'm getting the white one (mostly cause it's the traditional mac color and because it matches my iPod), but there are things you can buy to protect the screen from the dirt on the keyboards as well as the keyboard/trackpad. I did see someone with a white one and they had red discoloration on the outside, but I think you just need to take care of it.

I'm not too familiar with computer stuff but...

Does the MB only come with the glossy screen option?
If we add ram, etc does it void the Apple warranty?

newno55

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2006
Hey, as of right now the macbook is ONLY offered with a glossy screen. I actually kinda like it. Macbook pro's give you the option however.

As far as upgrading the ram. I would say NO, it does not void the warranty. They made the ram sockets and the Hard drive bays REALLY REALLY accecssible to allow users to service those commonly upgraded parts themselves. SO i cant see that voiding the warranty.

Even on the old iBooks ram was really easy to get to.

but as always, its probably best to check with apple before you start with your screwdriver haha.

hope that helps

ryan1211

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2006
hi ive just bought a mac book and i think its..

i am pissed off with apple as i have just bought a mac book to find out they are bringin a new one out the day after it will be deliverd. anyone feel the same?:(

?maniac

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2006
i am pissed off with apple as i have just bought a mac book to find out they are bringin a new one out the day after it will be deliverd. anyone feel the same?:(

nothing gives me more pleasure than waiting for a new machine, it's the anticipation and speculation that is so much fun. Rule of thumb with Apple
buy it day one, sell it when the new one comes out, take a small hit, and keep upgrading.

My history with laptops is like that, you lose a few hundred bucks everytime, but you will always have the newest machine, it's much cheaper than waiting every three years. Basically every 8 months or so, I sell my machine when the new one comes out, and put money towards the next one. It's a lot of work, but well worth it. I always have the latest machine, and someone is always looking for a good deal, best of all I never have to BUY APPLECARE, because my machine is always under a year old!

So, I have never bought the AppleCare for a machine because of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.