Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShnikeJSB

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2003
Chicago suburbia
Zadillo said:
I've actually got one of those drives in a Toshiba P105, and although it isn't a speed demon, I wouldn't really describe it as "slow as hell". It still seems to handle things pretty well, especially for a 4200rpm drive at that capacity.

-Zadillo

True, it IS quick for a 4200RPM drive -- but that's like saying the fattest person in a group is faster than all the other fat people in the group, LOL!

TH showed it topped the 4200RPM pack, but was still about 30%-40% slower than 7200RPM drives. But it DOES use a lot less energy.

I'm just spoiled by my 7200RPM drive ;o) I can't wait to see Seagate's counter, because I am constantly running under 1 gig of HD space and always throwing stuff out. It is mostly due to my 35GB+ music collection.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
ShnikeJSB said:
TI'm just spoiled by my 7200RPM drive ;o) I can't wait to see Seagate's counter, because I am constantly running under 1 gig of HD space and always throwing stuff out. It is mostly due to my 35GB+ music collection.
!!

that is NOT good!

OS X usually needs 10GB's to run properly!! delete some more!

noservice2001

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
808 State
akadmon said:
It's like asking "isn't it already past midnight"? It's always already past midnight somewhere in the world.

It is already intel core 2 duo, but it is not an Apple notebook.

i meant, dont the macbooks/pros already have a core 2 duo? or does the number 2 mean it's the successor the the core duo.... or does it mean that there will be two duo cores... so the Mb/Pros have in essence 4 cores?

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
ariechel said:
1. Based on experience with the iMac, Apple's policy seems to be not to sell systems with more RAM than will be available to applications. Until Santa Rosa arrives, the maximum RAM available to applications looks to be 3.2GB. Since I don't think that Apple will develop its own chipset (due to the high cost of developing, producing, and supporting an independent chipset), I predict that no Macbook Pro will be offered with more than 3GB until Santa Rosa arrives next year.

2. 250GB notebook (2.5") HDs don't exist (and certainly not 7200RPM 250 GB notebook HDs). At present the biggest notebook HDs available are 160GB in size and run at 5400RPM.

3. Since I think it is very unlikely that Apple will develop its own chipset (as mentioned above) and even Santa Rose will introduce only a 800MHz FSB, I think you can also forget the 1000MHz FSB chipset.

I get the point you made on 250 gb 7200rpm notebook hard drives, this won't happen for a while. but intel has "worked closely" with apple for the past year. Whose to say that intel isn't working secretly with apple?(that's the way apple likes it and it's their tradition). Watch the cnn interview after mwsf with steve jobs. They ask about upcoming products and steve just does his best to avoid answering his question.

So, intel may be the ones developing an apple version of santa rosa to give apple an advantage in the market since they don't yet use any of intel's premium pc platforms/marketing names like: viiv and centrino. Perhaps intel and apple secretly developed an apple version of santa rosa. It's possible, and would be great for macbooks and macbook pros to come with a mac version of santa rosa that would further differentiate macs from pcs considering the two are becoming more alike in parts since the switch to intel. It would be a logical move for apple and intel to co-develop such a new technology exclusively for macs. A new marketing name for the platform could be used and would be a big boost in sales of apple's laptops which would mainly come from switchers because of the new intel technology.

flame me if you will, but its all just a mere opinion, and also could be a possibility.
Apple will probably never take the centrino name, they will only take bits and pieces of the hardware. I'm just saying it would further increase the popularity of apple amongst pc users if intel developed a platform exclusively for macs, steve jobs probably wouldn't object to an intel idea like that. They may not even come with a clever centrino-like marketing name added to the label of an apple notebook. They may just state that intel exclusively developed or they "have been working closely with intel" (like they've said in the past) to create such a product.

All that said, there is a small possibility of an Apple only platform developed for notebooks to further differentiate their products from pcs. (other than the fact that they run os x. I'm talking hardware-wise)

also if intel made an apple-only chipset it would illiminate your high cost predictions, it might just be slightly higher because of the extra work from intel, but not much.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Okay everywhere I read on this forum people ar saying that we wont be getting C2D's in MBP/MB until Santa Rosa. Are you people insane? I have not heard one good explaination as to why this would be the case.

So I'm putting it out there to all the nay sayers why do you think we will not see C2D till next year - why not?

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
macman2790 said:
It would be a logical move for apple and intel to co-develop such a new technology exclusively for macs.
Yes, considering Intel is currently in competition with AMD when it comes to all the PC-makers, I find it highly likely that Intel will pull a Cheney and tell the PC-makers to go f*** themselves by being seen to favor Apple over the rest... :p Great logic there!

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
Reach said:
Yes, considering Intel is currently in competition with AMD when it comes to all the PC-makers, I find it highly likely that Intel will pull a Cheney and tell the PC-makers to go f*** themselves by being seen to favor Apple over the rest... :p Great logic there!

i also think it would secure the apple/intel relationship for many years to come without interference of AMD and IBM.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
macman2790 said:
i also think it would secure the apple/intel relationship for many years to come without interference of AMD and IBM.

Nothing's secure when profits can be made

macman2790 said:
I get the point you made on 250 gb 7200rpm notebook hard drives, this won't happen for a while. but intel has "worked closely" with apple for the past year. Whose to say that intel isn't working secretly with apple?(that's the way apple likes it and it's their tradition). Watch the cnn interview after mwsf with steve jobs. They ask about upcoming products and steve just does his best to avoid answering his question.

So, intel may be the ones developing an apple version of santa rosa to give apple an advantage in the market since they don't yet use any of intel's premium pc platforms/marketing names like: viiv and centrino. Perhaps intel and apple secretly developed an apple version of santa rosa. It's possible, and would be great for macbooks and macbook pros to come with a mac version of santa rosa that would further differentiate macs from pcs considering the two are becoming more alike in parts since the switch to intel. It would be a logical move for apple and intel to co-develop such a new technology exclusively for macs. A new marketing name for the platform could be used and would be a big boost in sales of apple's laptops which would mainly come from switchers because of the new intel technology.

flame me if you will, but its all just a mere opinion, and also could be a possibility.
Apple will probably never take the centrino name, they will only take bits and pieces of the hardware. I'm just saying it would further increase the popularity of apple amongst pc users if intel developed a platform exclusively for macs, steve jobs probably wouldn't object to an intel idea like that. They may not even come with a clever centrino-like marketing name added to the label of an apple notebook. They may just state that intel exclusively developed or they "have been working closely with intel" (like they've said in the past) to create such a product.

All that said, there is a small possibility of an Apple only platform developed for notebooks to further differentiate their products from pcs. (other than the fact that they run os x. I'm talking hardware-wise)

also if intel made an apple-only chipset it would illiminate your high cost predictions, it might just be slightly higher because of the extra work from intel, but not much.

Oh how I wish you were right... Sadly this is like wishing for the Apple to give their computers good graphic cards (though you explain this by saying there is a small possibility)

mudenza

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
I suspect Apple will use a GeForce 7600 GT ala Sony AR series and new imac, in their new macbook pro. a very good graphics card indeed.

I doubt a blu-ray drive

Hi-def screen seems very appropriate now. they will prob use it

ShnikeJSB

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2003
Chicago suburbia
lilstewart said:
!!

that is NOT good!

OS X usually needs 10GB's to run properly!! delete some more!

Actually, it's worse than you think -- I am actually on a Dell XPS Gen 2. Yes, WINDOWS!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!! :eek:

It is MUCH more tempramental than OS X. I hate PCs. I hate Windows. And worst of all, I HATE Dell! :mad:

Going back to Apple when the Santa Rosa chipset Macbook Pro's come out next Spring.

Zeromus

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
ShnikeJSB said:
Actually, it's worse than you think -- I am actually on a Dell XPS Gen 2. Yes, WINDOWS!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!! :eek:

It is MUCH more tempramental than OS X. I hate PCs. I hate Windows. And worst of all, I HATE Dell! :mad:

Going back to Apple when the Santa Rosa chipset Macbook Pro's come out next Spring.
Dell aint bad son. This 2407WFP lights up the room at 65% of the price of a ACD 23" :)

It also looks pretty swank in it's own right.

Izaro

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
France & Senegal
Latest update for my MBP order of 13th October, which I was informed by email on Thursday evening (19th Oct) would not be dispatched until 11th Nov:

It was dispatched from the Apple Store today(21st Oct)! I assume that it will be a C1D then.........:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to experiencing the performance increase over my PowerBook 1Ghz (1GB RAM): 17" MBP with 2GB RAM & 7200rpm HD....:)

wal9000

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
baxterbrittle said:
I'm thinking in the next week we will see at least one if not both models updated with C2D. Who am I to make predictions? Nobody ever listens to me anyway so there you have it - C2D's within 1 week.

mbp_wanttobelieve.jpg

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
ShnikeJSB said:
Monitors, sure... But try living with one of their laptops... LOL!

Dell monitors are the best monitor deal going right now. Their 30" is tops and a lot less than Apple's. IMO, it looks nicer too - I own 2 of them. :D

Their top end XPS gaming/workstation system is pretty nice, but very expensive. Their precision workstation line isn't bad and they make great mid-range servers, with several applications and configurations that Apple just doesn't address. But I agree, I will never own another Dell laptop again.. My Inspiron 8000 was nice, all the others have been crap.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
AppliedVisual said:
Dell monitors are the best monitor deal going right now. Their 30" is tops and a lot less than Apple's. IMO, it looks nicer too - I own 2 of them. :D

Their top end XPS gaming/workstation system is pretty nice, but very expensive. Their precision workstation line isn't bad and they make great mid-range servers, with several applications and configurations that Apple just doesn't address. But I agree, I will never own another Dell laptop again.. My Inspiron 8000 was nice, all the others have been crap.
Right now the 30 is going for 1200... mmmmm

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I'm free from the C2D threads! I finally pulled the trigger today, after waiting since July I've decided I had enough and now I'm typing away on my very shiny 2.16ghz 15" MBP, hooray :)

Zic

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
The East of England
dornoforpyros said:
I'm free from the C2D threads! I finally pulled the trigger today, after waiting since July I've decided I had enough and now I'm typing away on my very shiny 2.16ghz 15" MBP, hooray :)

I'm popping into an Apple store today to check out the MBPs... Must. Resist. Temptation. I really don't *need* a MBP right now but I sure as hell *want* one. Congratulations on your purchase.

jmelrose

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2004
Orlando, FL
In considering my next laptop, and whether or not to keep waiting for the mythical C2D MCP, I'm also torn between "regular" or "glossy."

Any current users have thoughts on the matter, how they've liked theirs?

THanks,
JMelrose

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
dornoforpyros said:

You'll be sorry... Next Tuesday is only a couple days away. :p

Seriously though, congrats, you'll be happy with it. I pulled the trigger about a month ago and have been very happy with a 2GHz 15" refurb. I'm still waiting for new MBPs, but I will only upgrade once they have the ability to let me install AND use 4GB RAM and have an upgraded GPU. C2D is almost beside the point right now as it's crippled by the current chipset and the update, if it's just a chip swap, isn't enough better to justify upgrading the one I just bought.

Zic

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
The East of England
Well, I managed to return from the Apple store empty handed. I really enjoyed the experience, the staff were very friendly and I achieved my main objective of comparing the glossy and matte screens on the MBP (they had one 17" and one 15" glossy in the store, both next to their respective matte counterparts).

Two members of staff made it a point to tell me that the matte produced truer colour, something I should take into account if I were doing any professional photography/graphics etc and one pointed out the glare saying it was very off putting when working during the night and that they recommended that everyone steer clear of glossy screens...

I personally decided to go for the matte as I was rather suprised to find that there really wasn't much difference between the two. I had both screens on full brightness, with the same colour profile. Although the glossy produced slightly more vibrant, appealing colour and I would say, ever so slightly sharper text (in my opinion) it was nowhere near worth it when factoring in problems with glare and reflection which would annoy me.

When I asked one of the sales assistants about an impending C2D update she replied that "we" (as in the store) hadn't heard anything but that she would expect an update sometime soon and proceeded to tell me that I could return any system I purchased today within the standard 14 days should I want to replace it. So nothing new there.

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
Would ya say a C2D MacBook is worth waiting for on a maybe for this year if you're in the market for a small notebook?

If we were talking PC - it would be about GHz and people wouldn't necessarily be aware of the processor inside and the spec is whatever it is at the that particular week when buying one!

Seems that new Mac models are more obvious!

What would the other top features be if it is upgraded?

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
Zic said:
I personally decided to go for the matte as I was rather suprised to find that there really wasn't much difference between the two. I had both screens on full brightness, with the same colour profile. Although the glossy produced slightly more vibrant, appealing colour and I would say, ever so slightly sharper text (in my opinion) it was nowhere near worth it when factoring in problems with glare and reflection which would annoy me.

The glossy and matte screens are the same display, just with a different top component/plastic. The glossy does have a more vibrant look and this makes it harder to do serious print work on it as the colors tend to "pop" more than they should. Personally, I like the "look" of the glossy screen better, but when it comes to using the laptop for many hours at a time, I don't really have a preference. The matte is just as good overall and better in situations where you may get glare or reflections. Although, I've heard the glossy screen does tend to perform a bit better if you use your notebook outdoors. I guess it handles outdoor sunlight or very bright ambient light better... Haven't personally tried it.

Zic

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
The East of England
AppliedVisual said:
The glossy and matte screens are the same display, just with a different top component/plastic.

Yes, I was fully aware of this but thanks for clarifying.

AppliedVisual said:
The glossy does have a more vibrant look and this makes it harder to do serious print work on it as the colors tend to "pop" more than they should. Personally, I like the "look" of the glossy screen better, but when it comes to using the laptop for many hours at a time, I don't really have a preference. The matte is just as good overall and better in situations where you may get glare or reflections. Although, I've heard the glossy screen does tend to perform a bit better if you use your notebook outdoors. I guess it handles outdoor sunlight or very bright ambient light better... Haven't personally tried it.

I totally agree. I'd read about the glossy being the superior of the two when used outdoors/in direct sunlight but this machine will for the most part be sitting on my desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.