Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Since there are so many of us freaking out, waiting for Apple to submit to the innevitable and announce the Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone wants when the merom MBP's do ship? Not only that, but I want to know what you want realistically. Conversely, what do you think Apple will/should include in this next version of the MBP? Hence, I started this thread.

Here's what I want...

17" 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, and three USB 2.0 ports

Ideally, I'd like to have the option of...

Black anodized alluminum (assuming price doesn't increase just for that)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 with 256MB GDDR3 memory (in my wildest dreams I'd like the 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX)
Swappable HDD

This of course isn't everything, but I'd like everyone else to chime in with their wants and desires for their own Core 2 Duo MBP.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
HecubusPro said:
17" 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, and three USB 2.0 ports

Ideally, I'd like to have the option of...

Black anodized alluminum (assuming price doesn't increase just for that)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 with 256MB GDDR3 memory (in my wildest dreams I'd like the 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX)
Swappable HDD

Almost same as what I want.

17" 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo
ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
Swappable HDD & Magnetic latch

Black anodized aluminum option, price increase with a 2GB RAM standard on black models.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I would like a 15" MacBook Pro with Merom + Santa Rosa (and all the goodies like faster wireless, etc), 256 MB X1800 XT graphics, 8 x dual layer burner, FW800, 1 GB RAM standard (although I would upgrade this to 2 GB min at time of purchase), and the HDD size doesn't matter (but I'll say 100 GB 5400 RPM as the default offered by Apple) as I'd go for the biggest or fastest option available at purchase depending on my needs.

I currently have a Core Duo MacBook Pro and I'm prepared to wait until all of the options above are available to me. Actually considering Apple hate putting high end video cards in notebooks this is 1 thing on the list I'd forgo in exchange for everything else.

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
The only thing i want from a Core 2 Duo Macbook/Macbook Pro is that I want it to be ready NOW!:mad:

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
-I don't see why this would be the case but I'd love for the new MBP to somehow be a little cooler then its predesessor.

-3 GB max RAM would be nice.

-User swappable HD like the MB would be nice.

-FW 800 for the 15.4".

-8X super drive for the 15.4".

-Hope they don't put the magnetic latch on the Merom MBP. I prefer the current latch.

-Lower prices.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I have not seen anybody mention the most IMPORTANT addition:

QUALITY DESIGN and BUILD - fix all of those Rev A problems already!!!!

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Apple Corps said:
fix all of those Rev A problems already!!!!

My Core Duo MacBook Pro is flawless. Maybe what you mean is wait a few weeks to release instead of doing a heap of minor upgrades as the product is in the market.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
risc said:
My Core Duo MacBook Pro is flawless. Maybe what you mean is wait a few weeks to release instead of doing a heap of minor upgrades as the product is in the market.

First - congratulations on your flawless MBP - many are not so lucky. And yes, getting it sorted and properly released would be a big ++++.

Heavens knows plenty of time has gone by for them to get the Rev B ready to go - like many - I am running out of time but do not want to jump to Yonah given how long I have already waited for a Rev B.

Tic toc tic toc tic.............

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Apple Corps said:
I have not seen anybody mention the most IMPORTANT addition:

QUALITY DESIGN and BUILD - fix all of those Rev A problems already!!!!

Yeah, well that too.

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
Other than the given processor change, I'd like the user-swappable hard drive cage like the Macbook has as well as the upgraded magnetic latch. (Less moving parts is a good thing.)

Simple. I'm buying if those are done.

dbxz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
I just want a MacBook pro with a Core 2 Duo cause its got EM64T... i wouldnt care if it was only clocked at 2.0GHz

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
i just want an anodized black aluminum case!

the second apple releases one i will haul over to buy one at the apple store... i just don't know how much longer i can wait. for now my deadline is end of octover.

meroms of course, as well as updates to the housing so that macbook is no longer superior (keyboard, magnetic lach, and user changeable hd) i think its rediculous that for a grand cheaper you can get a machine thats better designed.

p.s. is there anywhere i can buy a black anodized aluminum housing to put onto a macbook pro? i'm not talking about colorware... they leave the keyboard, trackpad and rubbers silver :(

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Apple Corps said:
First - congratulations on your flawless MBP - many are not so lucky. And yes, getting it sorted and properly released would be a big ++++.

Heavens knows plenty of time has gone by for them to get the Rev B ready to go - like many - I am running out of time but do not want to jump to Yonah given how long I have already waited for a Rev B.

Apple notebooks don't have any more or less problems than any other notebook. However, problems with Apple units tend to get blown out of proportion due to their huge media appeal.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
kalun said:
The only thing i want from a Core 2 Duo Macbook/Macbook Pro is that I want it to be ready NOW!:mad:

second!

the easy swap drive would be a nice feature and I hope it gets it, but I'll still buy regardless. Right now it's just about getting the C2D processor in there.

mightymike107

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
Cambridge, MA
I've heard a lot of people expecting MB style keyboards on the MBP (not here, but in other threads). For the love of all things holy, if apple puts the MB keyboard on the MBP I will be forced to buy a yonah refurb MBP. those keyboards are the ugliest most utilitarian pieces of eye-crap i've ever seen.

but aside from that, give me a C2D MBP next tuesday and i'll be a happy camper. (upgrade what you want, but it won't make or break the sale for me)

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
mightymike107 said:
I've heard a lot of people expecting MB style keyboards on the MBP (not here, but in other threads). For the love of all things holy, if apple puts the MB keyboard on the MBP I will be forced to buy a yonah refurb MBP. those keyboards are the ugliest most utilitarian pieces of eye-crap i've ever seen.

Yeah, a couple of people have said they would prefer the MB keyboard style on the MBP. I am completely against that. I do not like the MB keyboard at all, and MBP keyboard is perfect as is.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Funny how your 17" specs are almost the same as what you will get.

For the 15": FW800, easy accessible HD, 1920 x 1200 resolution. That's a Pro model alright! Also 5400 RPM 160 GB Perpendicular Rec. HD :p

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
miles01110 said:
However, problems with Apple units tend to get blown out of proportion due to their huge media appeal.

Well... since this is the game they want to play this is the price they got to pay. Perhaps they should put some of that money they saved from advertising and invest in better QC and product testing for one.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
HecubusPro said:
Yeah, a couple of people have said they would prefer the MB keyboard style on the MBP. I am completely against that. I do not like the MB keyboard at all, and MBP keyboard is perfect as is.

Thirded. Though I like the MB's keyboards for some reasons (dust can't get hidden under the keys) the MBP's keyboard definitely wins. I'll be going Yonah too if hell freezes over the MB keyboards get put into the MBPs.

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
what i whould like to see in macbooks is a 100 GB 7200 RPM hard drive fm seagate and an NVIDIA graphics card.

I whouldn't mind seeing control buttons for viewing a dvd without loging into the OS as well.

e4rthling

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2006
I want it to have 1GB ram as standard, Higher Resolution Screen, Black Aluminum Housing, Larger Harddrives and also i want it to cost a little less money. Also i want it today, I've been waint to long for merom apple notebooks.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
Merom chip - that would do me. I just want to be able to buy a laptop knowthing that it isnt going to be upgraded immenently - dont care about in 4 or 5 months, just dont want it being ugpraded a week or two after I buy it.

Other than that on my wish list I would quite like the anodised black case people have mentioned, for it to run pretty cool, easy to swap hdd and I would be well happy. No experience on the magnetic latch so no idea if I want that or not but it seems pretty popular so what the heck, shove that on too.

Edit: Oh, and for the 17" to run 1920x1200 like my Vaio does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.