Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
Hello all,

Starting this thread to gather thoughts on the new iPhone 14 pro corner radius, now that the phone is in the wild.

Four questions, relative to the older corner radius design:

1. do you notice the new corner radius in your day to day use?
  2. do you enjoy it aesthetically?
  3. why do we think Apple made this change? (I saw some theories that this was an attempt to better align the radius with the design of the back camera bump - do we think that is right, or were there broader reasons for the change?)
  4. any downsides?
Old design left, new design right
1664526501392.jpeg

Last edited:

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Hello all,

There was some discussion prior to the release of the iPhone 14 pro about its revised corner radius, but not much post-release.

So I wanted to start this thread to gather thoughts on the new corner radius, now that the phone has been in the wild for some time.

3. why do we think Apple made this change? (I saw some theories that this was an attempt to better align the radius l with the shape/size of the back camera bump - do we think that is right, or was there a broader reason for the change?)
  4. any downsides?
View attachment 2084283
Which of the two is the radius for the new 14 pro?

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Hello all,

Starting this thread to gather thoughts on the new iPhone 14 pro corner radius, now that the phone is in the wild.

3. why do we think Apple made this change? (I saw some theories that this was an attempt to better align the radius with the design of the back camera bump - do we think that is right, or were there broader reasons for the change?)
  4. any downsides?
Old design left, new design right View attachment 2084287
Howdy Royal Gala,

Perhaps I am alone here, but I do not understand what you mean by "corner radius"? Are you referring to the punch-hole design of the new Pro devices? I switched from an iPhone 13 Pro Max, to an iPhone 14 Pro and have noticed the downsize in the screen more than the Dynamic Island. The whole animated Dynamic Island has grown on me. It gives the phone some character. What I don't like, and it is possible that this does not occur on the bigger Pro Max, but when the Dynamic Island is showing something (like when music is playing), it cuts-off the Cellular signal type (LTE, 5G, 5GUW, SOS, etc...), all you see are the bars. You have to swipe down to see what kind of network you are connected to. Does this answer your question? Thanks!

Rich

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I don’t notice it in my day-to-day, but I think the design does look nicer. Since I don’t notice any difference in day-to-day, I don’t see where there would be downsides. Theoretically, it should be cutting off more screen space (in the corners) since it’s more rounded, but this doesn’t actually affect screen real estate/usability/function in practice.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Howdy Royal Gala,

Perhaps I am alone here, but I do not understand what you mean by "corner radius"? Are you referring to the punch-hole design of the new Pro devices? I switched from an iPhone 13 Pro Max, to an iPhone 14 Pro and have noticed the downsize in the screen more than the Dynamic Island. The whole animated Dynamic Island has grown on me. It gives the phone some character. What I don't like, and it is possible that this does not occur on the bigger Pro Max, but when the Dynamic Island is showing something (like when music is playing), it cuts-off the Cellular signal type (LTE, 5G, 5GUW, SOS, etc...), all you see are the bars. You have to swipe down to see what kind of network you are connected to. Does this answer your question? Thanks!

Rich
I’m not Royal Gala, but I’m assuming they’re talking about how the corners of the 14 Pro series is more rounded than the 13 Pro series.

Reactions: LinkRS

Craigf56

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2022
Why does it matter? Personally though I can honestly say the corner radius of my 14 Pro is not something I have ever considered!

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I notice the more rounded corners as well as the thinner bezels. Since my name in the Watch app menu bar is now one line instead of two.

I’m sure the reason why Apple did this is because they thinned the bezels ever so slightly.

In my head, if you maintain the overall screen size, but made the bezels thinner, then the corner radius will get more round.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.