Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
But there's no way to take a panorama in landscape mode on the native camera app right? I just don't understand why there isn't a way to do this. IMO it makes a lot more sense to take a panorama landscape rather than portrait.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
But there's no way to take a panorama in landscape mode on the native camera app right? I just don't understand why there isn't a way to do this. IMO it makes a lot more sense to take a panorama landscape rather than portrait.

What's your specific need that you think landscape will fulfil?

The reason it's done in portrait is so that it's the maximum resolution possible.

e.g. Say a panorama is 4:1 (4 times wider than it is tall). The sensor on the iPhone in landscape is 4:3. If you add two landscapes together, that's 8:3. Add a third, that's 12:3, or 4:1. So you can think of the panorama as made of 3 8 megapixel photos (if iPhone 5). Now if it was portrait, the sensor is 3:4. 2 pics side by side = 6:4, 3 = 9:4, 4 =12:4, 5 = 15:4. A little bit more will make 16:4 which is 4:1. So a panorama of the same aspect ratio is made of 3 photos if done in landscape and 5 and a bit photos if done portrait. The latter method has more detail.

Last edited:

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

Have you even taken a panorama picture.........?

Based on your post, it sounds like you haven't.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It might seem like it might be more convenient somehow, but it's actually not as practical nor as good.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Have you even taken a panorama picture.........?

Based on your post, it sounds like you haven't.

Thanks for the comment it was very helpful.

P.s. Yah I have

----------

agreed. panorama doesn't need landscape mode

Second most helpful comment on this forum goes to you... Thanks a bunch

----------

What's your specific need that you think landscape will fulfil?

The reason it's done in portrait is so that it's the maximum resolution possible.

e.g. Say a panorama is 4:1 (4 times wider than it is tall). The sensor on the iPhone in landscape is 4:3. If you add two landscapes together, that's 8:3. Add a third, that's 12:3, or 4:1. So you can think of the panorama as made of 3 8 megapixel photos (if iPhone 5). Now if it was portrait, the sensor is 3:4. 2 pics side by side = 6:4, 3 = 9:4, 4 =12:4, 5 = 15:4. A little bit more will make 16:4 which is 4:1. So a panorama of the same aspect ratio is made of 3 photos if done in landscape and 5 and a bit photos if done portrait. The latter method has more detail.

In all seriousness thank you for your comment it now makes a lot more sense to me. I just found it easier to take a panorama with an older phone I had and personally think taking any picture in landscape feels better in the hands rather than taking it in portrait. It makes a lot of sense though to get the maximum resolution

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

No there is not. The reason is because of the additional UI to guide you through taking a panorama photo. It has to go somewhere. And since by its nature a panorama is an extended landscape mode photo anyway how you shoot it is a tad moot.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No there is not. The reason is because of the additional UI to guide you through taking a panorama photo. It has to go somewhere. And since by its nature a panorama is an extended landscape mode photo anyway how you shoot it is a tad moot.

Hmm the ui would fit either way. It's to do with the sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.