Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofsnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
it's apparently a real quality issue, and my Series 7 watch has been affected for a while - corrosion at the switch. I've used a toothpick from time to time, but unable to get much of it it and it makes the switch very hard to press. Apple doesn't recognize this as a warranty issue.
Anyone here have a better way to clean the corrosion out?

IMG_6012.jpg

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
If that’s corrosion, it’s not coming from inside the watch. The button would have bulged out from the case (if not popped off outright) were it from the only thing (the battery) which could cause it. Not to mention — the watch itself would have long since stopped functioning.

Looks to me much more like something is coming off your hands when you press the button and accumulating there, trapping the occasional bit of dust and sand. Lotion?

As for cleaning it … I’d rinse the watch under running warm tap water, then use some non-abrasive dish soap (like Dawn or Seventh Generation) with a soft toothbrush. If that doesn’t work, I’d consider letting the watch soak in a glass of water for fifteen minutes or so before trying again.

If even that doesn’t work … I’d consider it analogous to getting superglue or hot asphalt on the watch. It’s probably a lost cause at that point … so give dental picks a try but be ready to admit that it’s not something that’s going to get fixed (and that you may well break it in the attempt).

b&

sonofsnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
If that’s corrosion, it’s not coming from inside the watch. The button would have bulged out from the case (if not popped off outright) were it from the only thing (the battery) which could cause it. Not to mention — the watch itself would have long since stopped functioning.

Looks to me much more like something is coming off your hands when you press the button and accumulating there, trapping the occasional bit of dust and sand. Lotion?

As for cleaning it … I’d rinse the watch under running warm tap water, then use some non-abrasive dish soap (like Dawn or Seventh Generation) with a soft toothbrush. If that doesn’t work, I’d consider letting the watch soak in a glass of water for fifteen minutes or so before trying again.

If even that doesn’t work … I’d consider it analogous to getting superglue or hot asphalt on the watch. It’s probably a lost cause at that point … so give dental picks a try but be ready to admit that it’s not something that’s going to get fixed (and that you may well break it in the attempt).

b&
It's pretty hard and coarse. On the aluminum interior edges. It looks like aluminum corrosion. Toothpick barely gets in, and not enough to thoroughly clean. Will try soaking.
Worn mainly during exercise, and being older, I don't sweat like I did younger. Not salt residue or skin/lotion goop but maybe sweat is the catalyst to the aluminum. In any event, I had a series 2 years years with no issues used the same way. This is just wrong.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Yep I would try a soft toothbrush with water to see if what if that is dissolves in water. Never seen anything like this.

sonofsnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Toothbrush bristles are too coarse to get down in. Did soak for a few and cut a toothpick on edge to try and get in the tight space. Did get much of it out after some working, but edges eaten away a bit in spots on the aluminum. Bear in mind that my skin is normal alkaline/acid.
IMG_6013.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.