Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I can't say that I'm surprised, I have cortana disabled on my machine both at home and work and I don't know anyone relying on this tech. Amazon has largely won this, though Google is still in the game.

Cortana’s not Alexa—skills are going away in Windows 10 version 2004

Today, Microsoft announced a major shift in focus for its personal assistant, Cortana: she's getting out of the consumer gadget business and focusing on productivity. The new version of Cortana will debut with the next major update to Windows 10, expected to roll out in April.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
When Cortana first came out, I liked it. But that lasted probably 20 mins and... it’s been disabled on all my windows machines. Probably doesn’t help that I disable Siri as well. I would never have a “smart” speaker in my house - at least not at this point. If I need Siri, I press a button.

As a huge Microsoft fan, I hope they at least continue with something. The idea of a “digital” assistant making my life easier has always been a childhood dream of mine (watching SciFi movies).

Reactions: sracer

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
When Cortana first came out and I had my Windows Phone, it was easily the best at that time. It had awesome reminder features like "remind me to pick up milk from grocery store on the way home" and as you were driving if you got near a grocery store it would tell you, buy milk and pull up a map. Plus, Cortana sounded so much more natural and being a huge Halo fan, it was awesome to have her as an AI.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.