Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a new house and the current owner has fitted spots in the majority of the rooms.

In my current house I use a combination of Hue bulbs/lamps/light strips etc and enjoy being able to control them using Siri from any of my iOS devices or from my GFs phone etc.

I am wanting to replace the existing spots with ones that are homekit enabled, but the only real option looks to be the Hue GU10's, but they are ridiculously expensive, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a more cost effective way to replace them?

Thanks in advance,

Vel

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Do you need/want colour control? If not, you can just replace the wall switch with Insteon or Lutron switches. Either brand has a HomeKit compatible hub so you can control them with Siri or set them on schedules as well as the physical switches themselves. In Canada, each Hue bulb is $60, so one room with 4-6 spots would cost up to $360. One of those wall switches plus hub would be about $160. Any other room you want to add would just be a $60 wall switch. But of course, if you have to have colour control, I can't think of any other option than the Hues

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I use the Hue a19 bulbs in my recessed cans (about 15 of them). I get they may lose a little light by not pointing straight down like the spot but the difference seemed negligible to me so I just stuck with them.

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Do you need/want colour control? If not, you can just replace the wall switch with Insteon or Lutron switches. Either brand has a HomeKit compatible hub so you can control them with Siri or set them on schedules as well as the physical switches themselves. In Canada, each Hue bulb is $60, so one room with 4-6 spots would cost up to $360. One of those wall switches plus hub would be about $160. Any other room you want to add would just be a $60 wall switch. But of course, if you have to have colour control, I can't think of any other option than the Hues

Thanks, colour would have been my preference. However, I'll be willing to sacrifice that based on the potential price difference.

Taking a look at both those products, the Insteon looks better from their website. I think that is the route I'll definitely end up going down.

Thanks again for your advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.