Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ucshade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
I took my 11 a repair store to fix my volume rocker but realize the adhesive was stripped off and when I asked the repair man for a new adhesive he claims not to have it therefore no adhesive was applied after rrpAir but my fear is if little rain splash would affect and cause water damage mind you i don not swim my iPhone but this no adhesive after repair is just my concern I do t know how bad this would result

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
If there's no gasket on the phone anymore for water resistance I would highly advise to keep it away from any water.

Over time those gaskets deteriorate anyway and the water resistance isn't like new--but with a worn gasket you still get a decent protection against rain, splashes and maaaaybe a drop into a toilet or sink or something.

But with no new adhesive/gasket, do not get the phone wet. If it's in a case then maybe it's ok in rain and a tiny splash.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I took my 11 a repair store to fix my volume rocker but realize the adhesive was stripped off and when I asked the repair man for a new adhesive he claims not to have it therefore no adhesive was applied after rrpAir but my fear is if little rain splash would affect and cause water damage mind you i don not swim my iPhone but this no adhesive after repair is just my concern I do t know how bad this would result
Do you live in a country that does not have Apple stores? A repair (or replacement) at an Apple store would have guaranteed you that the seal would also be replaced.

Without the seal, as @Motionblurrr mentioned, there is no water resistance.

It sounds like you took it to a non-Apple shop (possibly because of price?). Sounds like the repairman is aware of the seal but either doesn't know how to replace it, doesn't care or possibly this is only something Apple can do (which, obviously, this shop is not Apple).

Ucshade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
Actually no authorized apple repair Centre in my region am from nigeria and wondered why there’s non other than stores coming up claiming to fix iPhones

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Could you not go back and get him to add adhesive whenever he gets more in his shop? Your phone should be resealed no matter who repairs it.

Reactions: BNIB

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Actually no authorized apple repair Centre in my region am from nigeria and wondered why there’s non other than stores coming up claiming to fix iPhones
Is there anyway you can order a new adhesive seal from China for cheap to Nigeria? When you get it, maybe go back to the repair shop and ask them to install it (very simple to do).

Ucshade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
Could you not go back and get him to add adhesive whenever he gets more in his shop? Your phone should be resealed no matter who repairs it.
Truth be told: The repairman doesn’t know about such I asked him and he acted dumb as though it’s a new thing

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Truth be told: The repairman doesn’t know about such I asked him and he acted dumb as though it’s a new thing
Then that means he just learned by doing and not watching videos how to properly do it. iFixit has several videos that show how to repair screens and similar on iPhones.

Anyways, your phone no longer has water resistance until the adhesive is restored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.