Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broly

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
hi,

debating upgrading to catalina or something even higher.

however the lack of 32 bit GUI apps has me concerned an important header is removed after mojave:

#include <architecture/i386/pio.h>

could someone create an xcode project and see if this header still exists on 10.15++?

it says (on mojave) that it should be in 10.15 but i'd like to know if it's in monterey or big sur too:

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 8.50.44 AM.png

thanks

broly

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
That particular header still exists at least up to SDK 12 (Monterey), but any OS beyond Catalina will only support 64-bit.

thanks for this.

i still don't understand what they mean in catalina by "64-bit GUI apps only" (assuming i use opencore).

the header i am inquiring about is *technically* 32 bit (i386) though i concede it's critical for many x86_64 operations.

since it's in the catalina sdk and presumably available, what does apple truly mean by "no 32 bit apps"? are they talking about **** like cocoa and other mac-related UI APIs?

broly

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
but people with opencore can apparently use catalina and 32-bit non-gui apps? so what is this distinction? it must be the removal of 32 bit gui stufff?

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
As long as you don’t use a 64-bit OS (at all), you can use whatever the processor supports. Anything that uses a current OS (or any pieces of it) needs to be 64-bit, as the 32-bit support has been removed.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
but people with opencore can apparently use catalina and 32-bit non-gui apps? so what is this distinction? it must be the removal of 32 bit gui stufff?
It means that your programs must be compiled against the 64-bit ABI. This means things like function calls placing the first arguments in RDI, RSI, RDX (etc.) instead of on the stack. (More than 6 arguments are still placed on the stack). You will not find 32-bit versions of dylibs so 32-bit compiled applications will not be able to load libraries for functions supporting the 32-bit calling convention. You cannot simply load a 64-bit library from a 32-bit application due to the difference in calling convention. And even if you could and the calling conventions matched more, you'd run into problems where, when calling a library function from a 64-bit application, and the function was from a 32-bit library, the callee-saved registers would not include the upper-32 bits as it would try to push the 32-bit version of the register to the stack not the 64-bit version of the register.

The header is not 32-bit specific. It defines functions that are available. As long as they are compiled against a 64-bit calling convention it's fine. In this case the header contains some in-line assembly, but the assembly is also agnostic to 64/32-bit compilation.
Consider it more as an "i386 or newer" thing.

Reactions: broly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.