Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Glad you liked my idea from a few min ago to make a thread on it :D

And yes... Apple could have avoided this entire fiasco by simply having a pop-up (like they did with iOS 11.2 explaining the wifi / bluetooth toggles in control center) that explains to customers their battery had degraded which could potentially lower battery life or cause shutdowns, and telling them they could turn on throttling as an OPTION in settings menu or pay for a battery replacement.

The fact that Apple has been caught red-handed after the fact, them giving a vague statement with no real information on the matter, and them potentially having a profit motive in all of this... makes the whole situation stink.

Hopefully it's like aristobrat said in the other thread and Apple is getting ready to have an "antennagate" like media event where they explain everything fully and offer better solutions in the future to repair customer trust.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Glad you liked my idea from a few min ago to make a thread on it :D

And yes... Apple could have avoided this entire fiasco by simply having a pop-up that explains to customers their battery had degraded which could potentially lower battery life or cause shutdowns, and telling them they could turn on throttling as an OPTION in settings menu (or paying for a battery replacement).

The fact that Apple has been caught red-handed and them giving vague information on the matter makes the entire situation stink.

Maybe they’re hoping people upgrade after their iPhones get slow?

They do make the iPhone faster every year bc the processors are improved and they talk about it in the keynotes.
[doublepost=1514435245][/doublepost]I guess what we didn’t know was that some of our iPhones are being made slow.

Upgrading makes us feel like it was worth it bc the new iPhone is fast.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I don’t see why not. They do the same thing with the laptops. After battery health drops under 80% it tells you it’s time to replace the battery.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I don’t see why not. They do the same thing with the laptops. After battery health drops under 80% it tells you it’s time to replace the battery.

If they tell you the battery has dropped below 80% and how you might want to replace the battery just as an FYI that's great.

What's NOT ok is if they automatically throttle you instead of simply giving you an option to do so yourself in the settings menu.

As the owner of my device, if I want to keep the CPU performance the same and deal with decreased battery life or a rare shutdown that's my perogative.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
If they tell you the battery has dropped below 80% and how you might want to replace the battery just as an FYI that's great.

What's NOT ok is if they automatically throttle you instead of simply giving you an option to do so yourself in the settings menu.

As the owner of my device, if I want to keep the CPU performance the same and deal with decreased battery life or a rare shutdown that's my perogative.

To play the devils advocate. You don’t own the software. That’s apples.

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
No, they will never provide a notice because too many batteries fall below the 80% capacity threshold within the warranty period. And replacing a battery also requires paying a technician to perform the task. Better off to sweep the problem underneath the rug.

Reactions: macfacts

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If they provide a notice like that, they will lose potential accidental sales from customers. It’s all about the bottom line after all.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
No, they will never provide a notice because too many batteries fall below the 80% capacity threshold within the warranty period. And replacing a battery also requires paying a technician to perform the task. Better off to sweep the problem underneath the rug.

I actually just had my macboook battery start nagging me for a replacement, I had a 2015 MacBook Pro with AppleCare. Although it still under the extended coverage it was outside the normal warenty. However consumed batteries (through normal use) are not covered by any of apples warranties. I had expected to buy a new battery that day but Apple decided to just service it without charging me. I was surprised and thankful.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Upgrading makes us feel like it was worth it bc the new iPhone is fast.

Do you honestly think the average iPhone consumer cares about how fast their iPhone is when they upgrade? They don't pay attention to details like this. I believe most iPhone consumers only care about the camera or selfies they take, using their iPhones as they had before with social media, etc. The Experience doesn't change, they just want the iPhone for the sake of having a new device.

Last edited:
Reactions: TokMok3

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
They could have, but didn't because they wanted people to think it was the age of the phone and not the battery. Apple of course wants people to buy a new iPhone instead of replacing the battery.

Reactions: IvanEd747

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you honestly think the average iPhone consumer cares about how fast their iPhone is when the upgrade? They don't pay attention to details like this. I believe most iPhone consumers only care about the camera or selfies they take, using their iPhones as they had before with social media, etc. The Experience doesn't change, they just want the iPhone for the sake of having a new device.
Most of the typical users would likely try to update their phones sooner if their battery didn't last as long and especially of the phones would just randomly shutdown.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Most of the typical users would likely try to update their phones sooner if their battery didn't last as long and especially of the phones would just randomly shutdown.

And then you have to ask yourself, what kind of common knowledge does the average iPhone user even have to fully understand the throttling issue to begin with? So naturally, the Consumer isn't up to the challenge of trying to even replace the battery even thinking of replacing the battery themselves (Or they don't care to), which is just easier in their mind to upgrade.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
And then you have to ask yourself, what kind of common knowledge does the average iPhone user even have to fully understand the throttling issue to begin with? So naturally, the Consumer isn't up to the challenge of trying to even replace the battery even thinking of replacing the battery themselves (Or they don't care to), which is just easier in their mind to upgrade.

Started my career in help desk. Quickly learned most people didn’t know how to shut their computers off. They believed turning the monitor off was the same thing. On a side. All those years phones were supposed to be off during flights. I know that’s a load of BS because I’m convinced most people just unknowing had phones in standby mode...

The general public is not on this forum. The general public doesn’t read the news paper or watch the news. The general public believes what Facebook let’s them believe or Whatever is shared on Pinterest. So yeah I agree with you. Most people are probably unaware of any situation going on.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Do you honestly think the average iPhone consumer cares about how fast their iPhone is when they upgrade? They don't pay attention to details like this. I believe most iPhone consumers only care about the camera or selfies they take, using their iPhones as they had before with social media, etc. The Experience doesn't change, they just want the iPhone for the sake of having a new device.

Well given how outraged so many people are of this scandal I think they care about their iPhone not being slowed down. But ya I agree good selfie cameras are important but lately the back has become equally important for me bc I’ve been asking strangers to take pics. So far everyone has been MORE than happy to do so.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Great idea!

Apple gives me a pop up when a new OS I don't want is available. It's even downloaded it for me without consent. Then, when I delete it, it just downloads it again. I wish they were this persistent in dealing with battery issues.

Reactions: -hh and Breezygirl

germaocruz

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
Actually, you got a warning message when it time to replace It, if you go to settings/battery, under the save battery toggle you will find a message

Reactions: chabig

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
The scandal was unavoidable.

If phones had been randomly switching off, apple would be to blamed for not slowing the processor down to deal with low peak voltage output of aging batteries, forcing people to upgrade their devices.

As it is - apple slows devices to deal with that scenario and are blamed for slowing down the devices to force people to upgrade.

At the end of the day which is the best user experience, slowing a device down or it powering off unexpectedly?

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Actually, you got a warning message when it time to replace It, if you go to settings/battery, under the save battery toggle you will find a message

I'm running 11.2.1 (latest iOS) .. care to provide a screen shot which illustrates, because I don't see anything in the "Batteries" settings where it tells me anything regarding the condition of the battery...

... or is this one of those "features" where it only pops up after its too late, so there's no way for me to anticipate & plan ahead?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
By throttling the cpu without notice, Apple is able to buy cheaper batteries. If a small fraction of those batteries are under spec, Apple can quietly throttle it instead if replacing the battery under warranty.

If a pop up came up during the first year, people are going to want a free replacement battery. Apple wants to avoid that. Very sleezy.

germaocruz

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Madrid
I'm running 11.2.1 (latest iOS) .. care to provide a screen shot which illustrates, because I don't see anything in the "Batteries" settings where it tells me anything regarding the condition of the battery...

... or is this one of those "features" where it only pops up after its too late, so there's no way for me to anticipate & plan ahead?

Hi, you won’t see that message till you need it
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/i...-in-your-iphone-may-need-be-replaced-3669402/

5d7b90348e338df7e9dc3d72045ac8ad.jpg

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth

Thanks.

FWIW, this is precisely what I'm afraid of ... I can have an (older) device that's inches away from triggering that sort of 'service required' warning that I won't be able to detect (anticipate; plan ahead for) until it decides to pop up.

And Murphy's Law says that it will of course pop up while I'm en route to the airport for a 3-4 week trip to somewhere where I'll be more reliant on my iOS device ... and it won't be fully capable, but gimped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.