Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
First some background...
So anyone who reads digg regularly (aka addict) has probably heard that Dell started up a website, http://www.dellideastorm.com for people to tell Dell what they want, and the idea is (I would assume) that Dell listens to the people, and makes what the people want to buy so they can turn their business around.

The number one request is Linux (Fedora, OpenSuse, and Ubuntu) computers, followed by Open Office instead of MS Word trial, Linux laptops, no extra windows software, and Firefox. Everything in the list is open source applications, with the exception of less windows applications.

See the picture?
Dell can take Ubuntu, or whatever distro they want, customize it (gotta love open source!) and make it their own. Open Office, Firefox, Gaim, etc.. and all of a sudden there's a Dell with a Dell OS (based off of Linux).

Dell gets major publicity for embracing open source software, Linux users get psyched because Linux just got a HUGE P.R. boost, and then to top it off, Dell can use their customized version of Linux to ensure that the OS, Drivers, and hardware all play nicely together. Sound familiar?

So while we're all watching Apple conquer the world, everyone who doesn't wanna be "hip" and "conform" could get a Dell that's just as reliable, and while Apple becomes the next Sony, Dell could step up into Apple's place.

Imagine it...

Windows machines for $500, or Dell Linux ones for just as much... but without a windows tax means more $$$ in Dell's pockets and higher margins, and because it's not virus prone, less support costs and then you'll have more people who are happier with their machines. Dell wins all around.

So what are your comments or thoughts on this?

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
I think it would be it's demise. The average user is not interested in Linux. Remember eMachines carried Lindows? Most software is availible on Windows and then a smaller percentage of course is Mac. The popular software is not exactly Linux compatible. Yeah there maybe plenty of open-source availible but if you can't Microsoft Word/Excel on it people may jusy look the other way. If Dell wanted this to work they would have to pull an Apple and make a complete line of software all their own that is included with the OS.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
well considering Dell pays M$ 50 bucks tops per computer it sells it really would not be that much of a boost for them.

johnmartin78

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Canada
I think it would be it's demise. The average user is not interested in Linux.

I don't know,Linux is getting better as far as usability for average users go.And more and more people are learning about it and using it. IBM has actually been pushing Linux lately,which has sparked a bit of an IBM vs Microsoft feud.if a few more PC manufacturers jump onboard,I suspect we'll see a couple more distributions that excel in user friendliness.Open source projects have the potential to change the buisness of "front line" software development as the average PC user becomes more comfortable with their machines,and learns aout these projects.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Dell - you mean the company with horrible computers that moved most jobs overseas?

They have no need to - they're doing just fine ripping off the public as it is...

Dell sucks - who cares... this website says it all:

http://www.ihatedell.net

:confused: in terms of hardware (hardware only, as dell doesn't make any software) dell's computer is no worse than apple's.

what computer companies didn't move overseas?

I don't know,Linux is getting better as far as usability for average users go.And more and more people are learning about it and using it. IBM has actually been pushing Linux lately,which has sparked a bit of an IBM vs Microsoft feud.if a few more PC manufacturers jump onboard,I suspect we'll see a couple more distributions that excel in user friendliness.Open source projects have the potential to change the buisness of "front line" software development as the average PC user becomes more comfortable with their machines,and learns aout these projects.

IBM is no longer a computer manufacturer.

I don't think dell should sell Linux only. they can do more customization, in which one can choose what to include on there (include those junk software, in which if you get them, you get a discount...)

because if they do linux only, their sale will go down by some 80%.

most dell buyers are university and companys, they aren't gonna use linux since the MS office is the standard productivity suite.

but some individual buyers might want linux. so if anything, dell should offer both of them. but of course, MS's per-cpu license fee is ridiculous.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If Dell switched to Linux exclusively, they would lose most of their sales...

Linux in its many flavors is a great OS and growing fast. But let's face it, it hasn't exactly wiped Windows off the planet yet. As long as Microsoft clearly owns the desktop, Windows is what Dell will sell.

Wallace25

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007
I dont know how dell pulled it off, but they managed to sign a several year deal with Oklahoma's state offices, like their state law enforcement and a lot of Oklahoma schools, so they can only buy dell computers for the next several years. I would guess if they went all linux that this deal would not be renewed.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Dell offers Red Hat in their professional PC's. And has done so for quite a while now.

While the nerds can say 'we wanna Ubuntu' for example and run their self-built PC's for the most part problem-free with it, not that many of the distros are in a state that Tier 1 manufacturers feel happy certifying to run on their systems.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Dell offers Red Hat in their professional PC's. And has done so for quite a while now.

While the nerds can say 'we wanna Ubuntu' for example and run their self-built PC's for the most part problem-free with it, not that many of the distros are in a state that Tier 1 manufacturers feel happy certifying to run on their systems.

I think Ubuntu would be the best candidate, if it had the support infrastructure that Red Hat has. I know that if I left the Mac, or OS X died out tomorrow, Ubuntu would be my choice...and yes, I have a home-built PC to run it on.;)

Frankly I think most Tier 1 OEMs see no reason to swtch because they are raking in the dough with Windows, and even if they aren't they are afraid to switch to a "riskier" OS that has a reputation for user-unfriendliness.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I believe they will probably implement the OS (Whatever it may be called) as a BTO option to begin with, and slowly work it in lower and lower. Maybe the next step would be packaging install CDs alongside the Vista restore CDs/DVD
so people had a tangible choice. Ultimately, after enough developers had seen Dell was serious, and they would receive a good audience for their software, they would produce the programs necessary for Linux to become mainstream on Dell PCs.

the mighty M$ is on the way down, and the stats show it. Market share for Non-Windows computers is rising. No doubt in my mind that Dell will have Linux as a BTO by next year, if not sooner.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If they updated Amiga OS 4.0 and brought that to market tied to their machines, they might have a chance.

But it seems like any company that tries to bring back Amiga is doomed.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan

Imagine it...

Windows machines for $500, or Dell Linux ones for just as much... but without a windows tax means more $$$ in Dell's pockets and higher margins, and because it's not virus prone, less support costs and then you'll have more people who are happier with their machines. Dell wins all around

I think Dell will remain a Windows vendor, perhaps selling Linux machines to business customers on the side.

If OS X continues to outpace Windows in stability and release cycles, and the white-box PC market continues to whither, I can see the integrated hardware/software strategy being tried by other companies.

Ubuntu, for example, might get tired of waiting for hardware vendor support and develop their own laptop line (and there'd be a significant market for the first laptop to actually fully integrate with Linux).

I could see Google developing a GoogleOS on a Linux or BSD kernel and making their own machines. They already sell search servers companies can buy and plug into their networks.

If virtualization became more common, anyone who wanted to sell a more reliable, integrated computer could make their own OS and still have "legacy support" for Windows applications.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Dell is a computer assembly and re-branding company. What you are suggesting is totally foreign to what they know how to do. The fact is, they are failing in what they do know how to do. That is where their focus will be for them to survive.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
After testing new Ubuntu 7.04 beta, I must say, for normal user, its good enough. Dell can do it, even with some propertied stuff, it would be a great deal.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
You're kidding right?

You ever had to call Dell Technical Support???

Agreed , Plus:
I know Apple's products aren't build with the same reliability as they were say....15 years ago, but they are still a heck of a lot better than the average DELL offering... Ever opened up one of their Optiplex machines? there is no series the same, the thin laptop like cabling etc is so prone to breakage etc.
ever lifted up one of their laptops? Why is it that the housing creeks and those oily patterns emerge on the display when you do ever so much as move the display by pushing it gently on the back?

Yes, they have better machines as well, but they are more expensive... which begs the question why buy these , if you can have a mac for nearly the same price??? The need for Windows isn't the excuse anymore, as it runs on Macs now too.....

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
You pay a lot less than Apple for their basic consumer machines (which oddly people seem to need to compare directly to Apples) and you get less.
You pay a little less / about the same for their business / high-end machines and get more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.