Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeferjen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Princeton, NJ
I just checked and I already used 3Gb of data in only 2 weeks. My rationale was to get a 16G 3G iPad and store most of our videos/music at home and stream it when out of the house. Maybe I am better off with 64Gb wifi and use my husbands' MiFi for emergencies. Is this a possibility? I've had it for about 2 weeks.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
What i would like to know is if they are going to waive the re-stocking fee for anyone within the 14 day period.

I got my iPad Saturday, Have not signed up for data yet and even though i still could i find myself still somewhere tied to a contact. Even though i can cancel anytime or skip a month, If i do so, I will lose the unlimited plan. So in reality your tied to a contract if you ask me.

They SHOULD waive re-stocking fees for people within the 14 days, Which is what i am hoping if my iPad doesnt sell on craigslist within the week for what i paid ( i didnt mark it up like most have done out there )

I am not going to play AT&Ts games...If they did this to us within 2 months, i am certain with another month or so, they will pull ALL the unlimited plans...

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Really, the iPad was advertised as having these plans. Unless Apple somewhere stated "plans subject to change," anyone should be able to at least exchange it without a restocking fee, even if received on launch day.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I must be missing something because I was under the impression that the change in AT&T data plans related to the iPhone, not the iPad. Are the iPad plans being changed too?

ON EDIT: I see I missed that announcement!

MiguelS

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
San Jose
It was also stated that if you are currently an Unlimited Data Plan iPad user at $30, you may remain so if you continue with the same plan MTM.

I would like to know this.

Since I am at the brink of between 200mb-250MB of data, can I pay the $15 dollars and 1GB of data will cost me $10 more.

Would be nice to just pay $15 and they charge me $10 when I go over...which will not happen much.

Would suck if they start a different Tier Pricing for 200mb monthly contracts.

LimeyBastard

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Maybe when the service is opened up to other companies one of them will capitalize on AT&T's new plans by offering an alternative competitively priced unlimited plan solely for the iPad.

I'd be bummed too as my non-3G iPad gets a ton of use at home and I would imagine that 2GB is far too low a cap -- but I wouldn't despair. I'm sure something will get worked out within the next few months, either by AT&T or one of the competitors.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Maybe when the service is opened up to other companies one of them will capitalize on AT&T's new plans by offering an alternative competitively priced unlimited plan solely for the iPad.

I'd be bummed too as my non-3G iPad gets a ton of use at home and I would imagine that 2GB is far too low a cap -- but I wouldn't despair. I'm sure something will get worked out within the next few months, either by AT&T or one of the competitors.

By who? All indications are that T-Mobile is not compatible with the iPad modem due to different frequencies, everyone else is CDMA.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I just checked and I already used 3Gb of data in only 2 weeks. My rationale was to get a 16G 3G iPad and store most of our videos/music at home and stream it when out of the house. Maybe I am better off with 64Gb wifi and use my husbands' MiFi for emergencies. Is this a possibility? I've had it for about 2 weeks.

Considering the bait and switch that Apple/AT&T have just pulled I'd say you have an excellent case for returning your iPad without a restocking fee--even if it was outside of the return window. You may have to speak with a customer service rep but I have a feeling you will not be alone.

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
numerous stories of folks not having to pay the restocking fee - being able to upgrade and some being able to return after 15 day's - If you are at 16 stop by your Apple store and give it a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.