Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Title. With macos 15 only a few months away, it makes me wonder. I almost think that macos 15 will be the first macos to not support features on the m1 family of chips.

I'm thinking specifically the AI features. They may require the m2s faster neural engine as well as the m2s support for arm v8.5a with float 16 on the cpu.

Thoughts?

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Use of the ANE is hidden behind an API. The API can use less efficient (slower) operations on older Macs. Doesn't matter whether the older Mac is older Mx or Intel, in principle AI features can be hidden behind an API even if substantially slower. In practice, it might well be that Intel Macs will have lesser functionality, but unlikely for M1. The same applies to float16.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Nothing is impossible, but M1 Macs have been on sale up until early this month, so it seems probable for the next few iterations, that it will remain supported. Features in M2 and M3 chips may make some functions work more efficiently on them, but not likely to be exclusive to them.

Chopping Intel support off is fairly close I suspect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.