Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdurech

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
No matter what I do I can't remove this user from the Home App, tried deleting the app, restarting, turning off iCloud Home toggle. No matter what I do I can't seem to remove this use, just get could not modify user's access. Does anyone have any insight?

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 6.30.35 PM.png

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I am having a similar issue removing my AppleTV as the hub in HomeKit. Shows "unable to remove device". Finally had to unplug power from the AppleTV and restart my devices before I could get rid of it. I'm thinking it's software bugs in HomeKit causing problems

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Just went through this. I had to Logged out of iCloud on EVERY device. Logged back in and with my ATV as a hub, I deleted the Home app on my iPhone and iPad. Reloaded the app and was able to remove users. Wife then was able to be added back in and everything worked.

CuA

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
I didn't have to log out of iCloud or uninstall any Home app on iPhone/iPad. Below more simple solution actually worked for me, too:

"I had the same issue. My wife could receive the invite but could not join. Nothing happened after accepting. Her phone was updated after switching to the new Home architecture. I thought nothing worked until I did this:

(I was able to delete my wife from homekit users on my admin phone)

1. turn off all iphones
  2. unplug all hubs (reboot is not sufficient)
  3. wait couple of minutes
  4. plug in all hubs
  5. start up iphones
  6. the wife was instantly able to access our home again
Hope this helps someone."

source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254464994?page=2

So I also turned off all iPhones, MacBooks, Apple Watches, iPads etc. Then pulled plug of all hubs (HomePod mini and AppleTV), waited for 10 min, then step by step plugged each hub in individually, starting with AppleTV (main hub), then after it was online again I proceeded with first HomePod mini #1 and only after that with HomePod mini #2. Only then first my iPhone (I am the home admin) and then partner iPhone. I was then able to delete partner from Home and send a re-invite. Only after accepting it on the partner iPhone and going through all prompts there, after checking if everything was back, I then turned on the other devices again.

Remark: On all iPhones, I closed Home apps before turning them off. In addition, on partner phone, before all of that, I deleted the "standard" home that gets created by apple after first opening the home app, and directly closed the app afterwards before a new one was created.

Hope this helps!

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I didn't have to log out of iCloud or uninstall any Home app on iPhone/iPad. Below more simple solution actually worked for me, too:

"I had the same issue. My wife could receive the invite but could not join. Nothing happened after accepting. Her phone was updated after switching to the new Home architecture. I thought nothing worked until I did this:

(I was able to delete my wife from homekit users on my admin phone)

1. turn off all iphones
  2. unplug all hubs (reboot is not sufficient)
  3. wait couple of minutes
  4. plug in all hubs
  5. start up iphones
  6. the wife was instantly able to access our home again
Hope this helps someone."

source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254464994?page=2

So I also turned off all iPhones, MacBooks, Apple Watches, iPads etc. Then pulled plug of all hubs (HomePod mini and AppleTV), waited for 10 min, then step by step plugged each hub in individually, starting with AppleTV (main hub), then after it was online again I proceeded with first HomePod mini #1 and only after that with HomePod mini #2. Only then first my iPhone (I am the home admin) and then partner iPhone. I was then able to delete partner from Home and send a re-invite. Only after accepting it on the partner iPhone and going through all prompts there, after checking if everything was back, I then turned on the other devices again.

Remark: On all iPhones, I closed Home apps before turning them off. In addition, on partner phone, before all of that, I deleted the "standard" home that gets created by apple after first opening the home app, and directly closed the app afterwards before a new one was created.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! This worked for me. I had to make sure the first gen HomePod wasn't the hub. Otherwise I got the same error.

Reactions: mitr0001

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Had the same issue. A Google search brought me to this page. Just rebooted all my Apple TVs and that fixed the problem.

Reactions: b17777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.