Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super T

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
I tried a couple searches and got hundreds of unrelated threads so starting a fresh one. I have an iPhone 7+ and a sport Watch Series 2. I have several cards set up with Apple Pay on the phone and I use it regularly. However, in the watch app, if I go into Wallet and try to add any of them to Apple Pay on the watch, I get a pop-up that says:

Could Not Set Up Apple Pay
An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay
[OK]

Is this a known thing? Anybody have any experience with this and find a solution/workaround? Thanks in advance.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
In the Watch app is is called Wallet or Wallet & Apple Pay? If just called Wallet it is not setup correctly for some reason.

First try a restart on both, then you could try un-pairing and then re-pairing them.

Reactions: Beards

Super T

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
In the Watch app is is called Wallet or Wallet & Apple Pay? If just called Wallet it is not setup correctly for some reason.

First try a restart on both, then you could try un-pairing and then re-pairing them.

In the Watch app on my phone, from the main "My Watch" screen, if I scroll down it's just called "Wallet" - in there I can see all the cards stored for use on my phone. I will try restarting both and see how that goes.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It MUST say Apple Pay too to work.

IMG_1366_zpsmstsk5pm.jpg

Super T

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
Sure 'nuff, just says "Wallet." What's the proper way to reboot this lil guy?
[doublepost=1476305186][/doublepost]And by the way, thanks!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Sure 'nuff, just says "Wallet." What's the proper way to reboot this lil guy?
[doublepost=1476305186][/doublepost]And by the way, thanks!
Noting special, just power both off and then back on. If that doesn't work then you will need to try re-paring.

Also just to be sure again you have Passcode setup? If you take your :apple:Watch off and put back on you must re-enter your code or unlock with your iPhone?

And you also have Wrist Detection on. If so then try re-paring. It will take a little while (maybe an hour or so).

Reactions: Beards and Super T

kkishfy

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
I tried a couple searches and got hundreds of unrelated threads so starting a fresh one. I have an iPhone 7+ and a sport Watch Series 2. I have several cards set up with Apple Pay on the phone and I use it regularly. However, in the watch app, if I go into Wallet and try to add any of them to Apple Pay on the watch, I get a pop-up that says:

Could Not Set Up Apple Pay
An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay
[OK]

Is this a known thing? Anybody have any experience with this and find a solution/workaround? Thanks in advance.

I have the same setup and the same issue is also happening for me. Looks like a bug.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I have the same setup and the same issue is also happening for me. Looks like a bug.
Just found out I too have the exact same issue.
On the iPhone 7 Plus it just says Wallet and the watch says No Passes.
Currently unpairing with the hope it will get sorted.

EDITED: After unpair/repair I then had to add the cards again both to the iPhone and then for the watch.
Happy to say the unpaid/repair worked.... Cheers

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.