Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I was wondering, for a graphic designer that is using Adobe CC apps (Illustrator, Pshop, Indesign)… what would you recon would be best to be working with?
1. a maxed Mac mini?
2. a Mac Studio

Last edited:

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
The fully buffed out Mini would suffice for most users, but for $200 more you can buy a base model Studio, which steams way ahead of the Mini. It's almost a no brainer.

Even at the base price, the Studio has double the ram and higher core CPUs and GPUs, this is especially true for the GPUs.

Reactions: zoran

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I was wondering, for a graphic designer that is using Adobe CC apps (Illustrator, Pshop, Indesign)… what would you recon would be best to be working with?
1. a maxed Mac mini?
2. a Mac Studio
If you can afford it: I wouldn't get less than 32GB of RAM for your workload.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Could u be more clear?

I am a professional senior-level designer making $150k a year. Been using design programs since I was 3 when my father bought me Corel Draw 2 to keep me entertained while he worked late nights doing IT. Went to a design school. Freelanced making absolutely nothing out of school. Worked at both consultancies and in-house. Hustled my way here. Design is what I breathe everyday.

And I can honestly say design isn't about the tools. It's about the designer and the creativity and skills that you absorb from others and your own experiences. Having a $3000 Mac Studio doesn't mean **** over a $500 Mac Mini if you are just starting out. In fact, it's worse. I'd rather take that $2500 I saved and use it to go on a trip to Italy or Japan (the two countries with the world's greatest design) and make that trip all about learning and witnessing firsthand design there and network with people who you can ask for mentorship from over the years. Or take that $2500 you save from getting a Mac Mini and take a class. Or take that $2500 and use it as a down payment on an apartment to move to a design mecca like New York City and start your career and life here where you will grow exponentially over someone who stays put in Minneapolis.

Those sort of things will help you grow as a designer way more than a faster computer would. When the time comes and you need a faster computer because computing renderings is the difference between making a profit and losing money on a project, then you upgrade. Until then, it's about the journey and learning, not necessarily executing in the most efficient way possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.