Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tacojohn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
Redwood City, CA
wireless-iMac.jpg

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Would that be would be the Frisbee Mac?

Or the next incarnation of the McTablet?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Interesting concept, but you'd still have to power the screen - there won't be any power beaming. So I'd be camping with the 'No' group on this one.

D

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
I agree with everyone else. I give it a "NO" or "No, I hope not"

That would be so bad if you lost your monitor.... It's not like you could by a different monitor for it.... And we already know how high of a price you pay for Apple products

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet
Interesting concept, but you'd still have to power the screen - there won't be any power beaming. So I'd be camping with the 'No' group on this one.

D

Laptops, cell phones, calculators, cameras, ipods all seem to get on just fine without 'power beaming' right? :confused:

Not that I wouldn't be 1st in line to get one (*if* the price were right) but I have a feeling we've got some more time for the prices to drop before it makes it to an iMac.

Dave

graydecember

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
no 'tesla power beaming' necessary

the monitor would be powered with built in battery- jjust like in the powerbooks- that recharges when you hang it back on the cradle. simple.

but I seriously doubt this would become a feature!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I always thought it would be cool if apple dumped the screen on the imac and just sold the base. throw an adc port on the back or something. I always thought that would be really cool, dont know if it would be feasible or not but interesting.

iJon

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by iJon
I always thought it would be cool if apple dumped the screen on the imac and just sold the base. through an adc port on the back or something. I always thought that would be really cool, dont know if it would be feasible or not but interesting.

iJon

Now that would be very cool. Have the base on the desk next to a 23" Cinema HD. I'd buy one, even though I just bought two new 17" iMacs.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by iJon
I always thought it would be cool if apple dumped the screen on the imac and just sold the base. throw an adc port on the back or something. I always thought that would be really cool, dont know if it would be feasible or not but interesting.

iJon

Wasn't that the Cube in the first place....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger

Wasn't that the Cube in the first place....
Yeah, it was just a thought. i know it would be stupid to make, but yet very cool. just like the cube, a terrible computer for the average person but such a cool and neat computer.

iJon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
[memory lane]

My first post here was attacking people who kept discussing this possibility. Everyone (but me) seemed to think this was a good idea at the time. I think, even if you could solve the power issue, the main problem would be this: people would want to take the screen with them, in the car, etc etc... So for consumers to really accept this, it would have to either be two computers in one, or a base for simple physical connectivity. But then, why not just get an iBook? then you'd have a keyboard input. And an optical drive, and ports, the list goes on.

:)
pnw

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Wren
It could very well be the new iPad? Hmmm interesting concept though.
Stop calling it an iPad...

iPad sounds like one of those feminine hygiene products that men hate to buy.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
The first thing I thought when I saw the iMac was that it would be cool to be able to swing the monitor around 90º so it would be a portrait display. I'd much rather have that feature implemented before a Microsoft-like Tablet PC type junk machine. Seriously, I see no use for that other than seeing movies (which is always going to be better on TVs).

irmongoose

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Originally posted by Hemingray
Hm, the base reminds me of an updated iBrator.

Actually, it's the new iScream. And my girlfriend would love to see it happen, but thinks the development of a product like this would be a long time in coming...

...which is also why she would like to see it happen.

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
Apple has done a great job with perfecting thier batteries. Maybe the LCD Display has a Lithium Ion battery to power it while it is off the iMac and then charges when you attach it back on.

I think the detachable LCD is a great idea. But I do have my doubts if the cost build it is low enough to have a iMac price tag under $2k.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by rt_brained
Actually, it's the new iScream. And my girlfriend would love to see it happen, but thinks the development of a product like this would be a long time in coming...

...which is also why she would like to see it happen.

Ok, this is off topic, but they do have something like that.

On topic... no way on the idea of a detachable screen that beams info to and from the base. Sure, it could be done, and in fact, is being done now. It's called a powerbook/ibook combined with an airport.

I can't come up with any reason to make a computer like that.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i like the idea

at first, being a network techie, i was apprehensive about wireless since i thought it would take away a lot of the jobs in the newtworking sector

but as slow as things have moved for the last ten years, i don't think there is a big fear of that right now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.