Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Did a demo this morning…wonderful staff member, but kept interrupting her because it felt like I was in a quest 2. I could easily see the table looking down. She said we’d fix that with a light seal change. I went through the 11, 14, 21, 25, somewhere in the 30s, and I could either see most of the table by my nose or at worst if I really tried could look down and see my watch if I loved it close to my chest. She tried her size and couldn’t see her watch, just a little light bleed.

Did I miss a seal or some people just can’t wear these?

Reactions: zakarhino

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Unlike most of the perimeter, where the seal fits tightly against your face, the piece of fabric that goes over your nose isn't as effective. In my experience, a small about of light gets in there, though it's not enough to bother me. Still, I think Apple should have used material with elasticity. You could probably jury-rig something if none of the sizes work, but I don't know if it would do the trick for you.

Reactions: bhodinut

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Same here; It's not even "light bleed" - it's just a straight up gap in the fit that you can see through when you look down your nose. I thought it was supposed to be completely blacked out within the headset. Turns out, it really doesn't need to be. Some people have even started to wear the thing without a light seal at all. In practice, the gap around the nose is the least of the Vision Pro's problems.

Reactions: roland.g

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I went to the store and had them fit me properly. On line doesn't work for every one!
I went back again (they’re out of stock) after my appointment and the 21W was the most comfortable but as said, there’s a gap. I went up and down the line and there wasn’t one that fit me perfectly. It’s take 14 days and try it or wait and see. I am disappointed that it’s more in the Quest camp.

Reactions: Blackstick

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I went back again (they’re out of stock) after my appointment and the 21W was the most comfortable but as said, there’s a gap. I went up and down the line and there wasn’t one that fit me perfectly. It’s take 14 days and try it or wait and see. I am disappointed that it’s more in the Quest camp.

Try positioning the band higher on the back of your head. I had the same thing in store. Ended up with 21 I think, vs the 33 the face scan originally recommended.

Reactions: Itinj24

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Exactly the same issue. I was told a lot of people are having difficulty getting a good seal, and the web is over recommending 33. I was recommended a 33w which they did not have, tried a 33n which didn’t fit my face, and ultimately the 21w had the least light gap and was comfortable, but none completely immersed me.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
Anyone have any luck switching from a W to an N to avoid the light leakage on the sides?

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The nice part about this is that third party light seals are not out of the question, like the headbands.

With enough market interest we could potentially see more options down the line for better fit across a wide variety of head shapes.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Try positioning the band higher on the back of your head. I had the same thing in store. Ended up with 21 I think, vs the 33 the face scan originally recommended.
Same exact situation for me here. Fitted for 33, left with a 21 with much less gap at the bottom than the 33 offered. Got home and played with the headband a bit. Settled on it being positioned more towards the top of the head at the back. This pushed it down at the front. Not only is it more comfortable but it’s also took care of any gap at the bottom.

Can’t stress enough to pull the back of the band higher on the back of your head.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Same exact situation for me here. Fitted for 33, left with a 21 with much less gap at the bottom than the 33 offered. Got home and played with the headband a bit. Settled on it being positioned more towards the top of the head at the back. This pushed it down at the front. Not only is it more comfortable but it’s also took care of any gap at the bottom.

Can’t stress enough to pull the back of the band higher on the back of your head.
Tried this. The 21 felt the most secure but it didn’t really impact the light issue. (I have a pumpkin head if that means anything). At one point the genius and I shared the same strap as it’s the one she personally used and she could see light bleed but no gap. I’m assuming some people will just see a gap?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Tried this. The 21 felt the most secure but it didn’t really impact the light issue. (I have a pumpkin head if that means anything). At one point the genius and I shared the same strap as it’s the one she personally used and she could see light bleed but no gap. I’m assuming some people will just see a gap?
I’m wondering how much gap you’re seeing. I think I read somewhere that a little at the bottom is normal. I know I said that repositioning the band higher took care of any gap but in reality, I still have one ever so slight at the bottom that doesn’t affect anything. It just disappears after a short time and I don’t notice it. Just moving my cheeks up like as if I’m squinting makes it even better. Don’t think you can actually get a perfect complete seal. The bottom of the light seal cushion doesn’t go around all the way and is broken up by that flimsy fabric where nose bridge is. You know what I’m talking about.

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
My brother got a demo and he had the exact same issue. Wondering if it’s caused by having a higher than normal nose bridge?
I have no light bleed on mine.

mdmt619

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
Anyone have any luck switching from a W to an N to avoid the light leakage on the sides?
I did this, but still get light leakage on the sides with a handful of the N sizes. It's better than the W, but not perfect.

I'm having a tough time finding the right seal that can block out light from the sides without having the strap super tight. So far the 22N is the closest, but the pressure on my temples is pretty intense. I'm going to go back to the store to get fitted again, but I'm worried I'll have to balance overall comfort with a little light leakage from the sides (which I get with the 21N and 23N).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
A gap towards the nose letting in light is normal. I think the issue is that people expected there to be no light anywhere, which is simply not the case. With that said, you should not see outside light or environment once the headset is turned on. Essentially, the fit should be good enough that you do not notice the light leak by your nose once you are interacting with the headset.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
A gap towards the nose letting in light is normal. I think the issue is that people expected there to be no light anywhere, which is simply not the case. With that said, you should not see outside light or environment once the headset is turned on. Essentially, the fit should be good enough that you do not notice the light leak by your nose once you are interacting with the headset.

This ultimately is where I ended up. In the store I was surprised by the light gap because I wasn’t expecting it, and I believe the first light seal I had during the demo was a really bad fit, so the gap was huge. During other swap outs it was so large I could see alongside my nose, not just under it. Eventually the one I left with has a very small gap. I can see the outside world if I look straight down, but not enough to easily check my watch as I would with my Quest 2 (although I could easily do that with the incorrect light seal on the Vision Pro.)

My current issue is more the glare caused by the pancake lenses, but that’s not a device by device issue as I understand it. It’s the nature of the beast.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This ultimately is where I ended up. In the store I was surprised by the light gap because I wasn’t expecting it, and I believe the first light seal I had during the demo was a really bad fit, so the gap was huge. During other swap outs it was so large I could see alongside my nose, not just under it. Eventually the one I left with has a very small gap. I can see the outside world if I look straight down, but not enough to easily check my watch as I would with my Quest 2 (although I could easily do that with the incorrect light seal on the Vision Pro.)

My current issue is more the glare caused by the pancake lenses, but that’s not a device by device issue as I understand it. It’s the nature of the beast.
Did you try moving the back of the band closer to the top of your head? This should pull the front of the VP down making the gap by your nose very minimal to none. I found it felt more comfortable this way as well.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Did you try moving the back of the band closer to the top of your head? This should pull the front of the VP down making the gap by your nose very minimal to none. I found it felt more comfortable this way as well.
Yes I have it there and I’d describe it as minimal. If I‘m sitting I can see a strip of the real world, but it’s not enough that I’d notice it. I’m more distracted by the internal glare. 😂

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Was ultimately what led to me returning the AVP. My primary use was movies, and that is where the issue reared its head the most. I couldn't get past it, and it became all I could focus on.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
The nice part about this is that third party light seals are not out of the question, like the headbands.

With enough market interest we could potentially see more options down the line for better fit across a wide variety of head shapes.
This is a very good point.

The Bigscreen Beyond headset ordering process involves a proper scan of your face, and then a custom fit face cushion made just for you.

No reason why some enterprising company couldn’t start offering this service for the Apple Vision Pro very soon.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
My solution on the Quest 3 is not too look down :D I could technically make it fit properly but then it puts too much pressure on my nose and cheeks so I rather take some light leakage than pain in my face

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I saw a lot of light at the bottom when I put it on and the demo guy said that was normal and we never switched. I didn't notice it being an issue during the controlled short demo, but thought it was supposed to be a closed environment. I could also clearly see the complete surround of the frame of the goggles, which didn't feel immersive to my eyes.

As far as that gap, wouldn't surprise me if third party light seals become a thing, or if Belkin or someone produces a 'nose pad' to close the gap. Maybe Apple will get it right in Gen 2. Nothing like a $4k beta product.

Disher

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2024
I guess I feel lucky. My demo fit good and my purchased set is good also. Sure, a little adjusting and good to go.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Was ultimately what led to me returning the AVP. My primary use was movies, and that is where the issue reared its head the most. I couldn't get past it, and it became all I could focus on.

I’m still in the “it’s a super expensive first generation product” mode as I go through the 14 days of evaluating it. Last night I turned on a 3D movie in cinema mode. It was blurry. I did get to a point where the glare settled over the picture but I couldn’t see it unless I moved my head, sort of like with glasses. If your kid hands them to you and gets fingerprints and sticky all over them, they’re distracting, but if you’re holding your head still, you don’t see it. Not optimal, but then I watched the news from Joshua Tree and it was less notable. Mount Hood seems to be a host mess at night.

Not the thread, but while I have you all, it’s not a device by device thing, right? I don’t have the bad bleeder. It’s nothing to do with the light seal. This is pancake lenses and they all do it?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I’m still in the “it’s a super expensive first generation product” mode as I go through the 14 days of evaluating it. Last night I turned on a 3D movie in cinema mode. It was blurry. I did get to a point where the glare settled over the picture but I couldn’t see it unless I moved my head, sort of like with glasses. If your kid hands them to you and gets fingerprints and sticky all over them, they’re distracting, but if you’re holding your head still, you don’t see it. Not optimal, but then I watched the news from Joshua Tree and it was less notable. Mount Hood seems to be a host mess at night.

Not the thread, but while I have you all, it’s not a device by device thing, right? I don’t have the bad bleeder. It’s nothing to do with the light seal. This is pancake lenses and they all do it?

Yeah it is all the pancake lenses. I tried probably 5 for 6 different unit at the Apple Store, my friends unit, and the one I owned. Every single one had it to the same degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.