Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
You really should; those direct challenge can't be unanswered :rolleyes:
(Nooooo, we are are pushing here, not at all ;) )

But you might want to concider running NaCL WU on Chrome on older hardware. Those run shorter and give you better control on the overall runtime and powerconsumption: a real concern for all of us. :(

I was going to go to the instructions at the top of this thread and setup from scratch. Is this NaCL stuff documented as well?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Is this NaCL stuff documented as well?

One source of documentation would be here: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=95&t=25878

That's what I followed back in time on my older Mac Mini. Personally I gave up on NaCL as it don't provide sufficient logging capabilities or remote access (I'm very interested in that'd because of iPad monitoring).

But in principal is the NaCL a a nice idea to get smaller WU which are done in shorter time.

----------

Oh, by the way: in three days we pass the team Pande Lab; the originator of F@H ... ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ok guys, i decided to move 2 GPUs to another machine, so this one just has the 780 again. Of course i've gotten nothing but trouble after making the move. it keeps starting a WU and failing in the middle of it, and then downloading another WU, just for it to fail again. endless loop it seems.

i just restarted to see if that helps. Also, i noticed that this rig is no longer using all 18 GB of RAM. any ideas why it would do this all of a sudden?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 200

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
ok guys, i decided to move 2 GPUs to another machine, so this one just has the 780 again. Of course i've gotten nothing but trouble after making the move. it keeps starting a WU and failing in the middle of it, and then downloading another WU, just for it to fail again. endless loop it seems.

i just restarted to see if that helps. Also, i noticed that this rig is no longer using all 18 GB of RAM. any ideas why it would do this all of a sudden?

A simple recipe of success:linux and GTX 780, all the troubles in the last weeks didn't touched me; only once when tried to download core 18 few times. But that stopped. Since then solid stream of stable c17

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

did restarting help?

maybe it doesn't need much memory -- my rig with a 7970 and a 660 was having flaky memory problems so I cut it back to one 2 gig stick and it seems to run fine on that...

and I'm with Christian on those Core 18s -- they halve the production on my cards!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well it appears to be working now. not sure what it was. still not sure about the RAM either.

maybe a new system for Christmas? i see some i7 5820k rigs are pretty cheap.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
It appears now broken for me ... It even dump my regular Core 17 :mad:
Stop folding until I'm back to my box to power cycle; maybe the GPU need a hard reset. Soft reboot didn't fixed incl. deletion of slots.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It appears now broken for me ... It even dump my regular Core 17 :mad:
Stop folding until I'm back to my box to power cycle; maybe the GPU need a hard reset. Soft reboot didn't fixed incl. deletion of slots.

i'm still getting some errors saying that the FahCore crashing. but then it starts back up where it left off?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
i'm still getting some errors saying that the FahCore crashing. but then it starts back up where it left off?

I'm getting nasty
Code:
23:42:08:WU02:FS02:FahCore 0x17 started
23:42:09:WARNING:WU02:FS02:FahCore returned: BAD_FRAME_CHECKSUM (112 = 0x70)
23:42:09:WARNING:WU02:FS02:Fatal error, dumping
23:42:09:WU02:FS02:Sending unit results: id:02 state:SEND error:DUMPED project:13000 run:2082 clone:8 gen:55 core:0x17 unit

Raised my question over in FF, I think/hope the power cycle I do when back home tonight will reanimate the rig. CPU keeps folding, so not sure what gremlin sit on my GPUs.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Whatever it was: it survived a power cycle with a dinner between off and on, no chance for any electron to stuck in main RAM. Restart and ... Dump ... Dump ... Dump ... Dump ... Dump ... Slot halted with too many errors.
Hmmm, next try: praying the hardware is not broken and reinstall the client.
One or both helped and my twins are back on duty pushing us slowly but steady to 2bn points
:)

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I did try some older nvidia drivers...

...maybe that would help...

(I also deleted slots and started all over again; without having to uninstall and reinstall...)

things seem stable now with a 660ti and a 7970 in the same box...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
mine seems to work better when the cpu isn't doing anything while gpu is folding. who knows. hopefully all is well now.

i'm still eyeing a 6-core rig for under $1500. who's with me? :cool:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
mine seems to work better when the cpu isn't doing anything while gpu is folding. who knows. hopefully all is well now.

i'm still eyeing a 6-core rig for under $1500. who's with me? :cool:

IMHO don't bother -- as you mentioned, the gpus work better when the cpu isn't doing anything (and I've learned my lesson when trying to run F@H and WCG at the same time -- messy and not too productive) and $1500 would buy 3 980 cards! that's, what 1 million PPD?

I'm in the camp that sez run the gpu folding cards in a low-end box with the cheapest cpu (I'm using celeron 1610 chips for about $45 ea) in a cheap ATX motherboard with 2 or 3 pcie slots and a decent power supply...

...and leave computing tasks to a different box entirely (a Xeon, in my case)

I saw Xeon W3680 (3.33 Mhz 6-core Westmere) chips on eBay for about $230. that's down from $1000 retail when they launched...

(but still they use a lot of power; 130W, and I'm sure that the newer architecture chips are way more efficient)

I don't bother running any SMP projects on F@H. Only BigAdv while it lasts...

just my 2 cents...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
IMHO don't bother -- as you mentioned, the gpus work better when the cpu isn't doing anything (and I've learned my lesson when trying to run F@H and WCG at the same time -- messy and not too productive) and $1500 would buy 3 980 cards! that's, what 1 million PPD?

I'm in the camp that sez run the gpu folding cards in a low-end box with the cheapest cpu (I'm using celeron 1610 chips for about $45 ea) in a cheap ATX motherboard with 2 or 3 pcie slots and a decent power supply...

...and leave computing tasks to a different box entirely (a Xeon, in my case)

I saw Xeon W3680 (3.33 Mhz 6-core Westmere) chips on eBay for about $230. that's down from $1000 retail when they launched...

(but still they use a lot of power; 130W, and I'm sure that the newer architecture chips are way more efficient)

I don't bother running any SMP projects on F@H. Only BigAdv while it lasts...

just my 2 cents...

oh i agree with you. but my rigs were built back in 2010, or earlier, and while are still find for folding, aren't great for other tasks. it'd be nice to a have a 6-core for everything else, and still able to fold also when i want. of course, i'd love to have a retina iMac, but it's just too pricey for what i'd use it for.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
oh i agree with you. but my rigs were built back in 2010, or earlier, and while are still find for folding, aren't great for other tasks. it'd be nice to a have a 6-core for everything else, and still able to fold also when i want. of course, i'd love to have a retina iMac, but it's just too pricey for what i'd use it for.

I would definitely love a retina iMac with the appropriate cpu and gpu upgrade... it makes me want to sell off my Mac Pros

...so I hear you on the 6-core thing... you might be able to find a used 2009 Mac Pro for cheap and then upgrade it with a W3680 chip... I got my last Mac Pro for $600 -- a "scratch and dent" special from a dealer with the 2.93 4-core chip; when I feel the need to upgrade it to the hex core then the W3680 is as low as $230 on eBay...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I would definitely love a retina iMac with the appropriate cpu and gpu upgrade... it makes me want to sell off my Mac Pros

...so I hear you on the 6-core thing... you might be able to find a used 2009 Mac Pro for cheap and then upgrade it with a W3680 chip... I got my last Mac Pro for $600 -- a "scratch and dent" special from a dealer with the 2.93 4-core chip; when I feel the need to upgrade it to the hex core then the W3680 is as low as $230 on eBay...

yeah the retina iMac is tempting, but i'm gonna have to pass for now. i want it, but i don't really need it. of course, what do i need? :apple:

that's a good point. but how much would i really be saving? these 5820k rigs are pretty cheap (i've seen around $1300 or so), and with the newest chipset and usb 3.0 and all the new stuff.....remember all my rigs are 2010 and older.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm really curious what mix rhw202 runs:

Lots PPD and lots WU per day ... Some maxwell for the points and lots NaCL on fast CPUs ?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
I'm really curious what mix rhw202 runs:

Lots PPD and lots WU per day ... Some maxwell for the points and lots NaCL on fast CPUs ?

Not a bad guess!

At the moment it's 5 750 ti, 1 770, 2 780, 1 780 ti, 1 970 and 1 980. The i7s just fold at night to rack up the WUs.

I've got 6 660 ti and a bunch of AMD cards that I can fire up if it gets colder but I may just get a couple more 970 and get the same points for fewer Watts. Anyone want some spare GPUs?

Anyway, we look on track for our 2 billion and only one close threat on the team overtake - top 40 should be achievable in the near future. Well done everyone!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Not a bad guess!

At the moment it's 5 750 ti, 1 770, 2 780, 1 780 ti, 1 970 and 1 980. The i7s just fold at night to rack up the WUs.

I've got 6 660 ti and a bunch of AMD cards that I can fire up if it gets colder but I may just get a couple more 970 and get the same points for fewer Watts. Anyone want some spare GPUs?

Anyway, we look on track for our 2 billion and only one close threat on the team overtake - top 40 should be achievable in the near future. Well done everyone!

wow! so how many different systems are all these in? do you have a certain routine you go through with each system? like do you build yourself, upgrade one per year, etc?

our team is doing great, but you are major part of it. let's all try to do our part and keep it going!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.