Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsASituation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Hey guys,

Planning on getting the Macbook Pro M3 16GB.

I want to play games like Counter-Strike: Source or the new counter-strike game on it.

Do you guys think it will be a good gaming experience without any graphic issues or lag with these games? Maybe someone that plays Steam games on Macbook Pro can chime in on their experience. Thanks!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hey guys,

I want to play games like Counter-Strike: Source or the new counter-strike game on it.

Do you guys think it will be a good gaming experience without any graphic issues or lag with these games? Maybe someone that plays Steam games on Macbook Pro can chime in on their experience. Thanks!
This would be better in the games forums.

I know the most recent CS doesn't run on macOS anymore. As far as the older CS:Source, I am not sure that was ever upgraded from 32-bit so I dunno if it runs. If it did run performance would be meh as it uses OpenGL which has been deprecated on macOS for a long long while.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Hey guys,

You might be able to run it with virtualization or the game dev porting toolkit, but it'll be a big hassle.

ItsASituation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Your best bet might be Crossover. Both games work well now but try the free 14 days demo before you buy to be sure.
Sounds great. It's a shame that Valve doesn't focus on their Mac users - but I don't blame them as we supposedly make up less than 1% of gamers. Hopefully things change in the near future.

Reactions: Homy

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Sounds great. It's a shame that Valve doesn't focus on their Mac users - but I don't blame them as we supposedly make up less than 1% of gamers. Hopefully things change in the near future.
You’d think they would work on those games for Android and iOS (which gets them a free macOS version).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.