Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
Hi guys, i currently play the above game on my 24" iMac 2.16 Ghz and Nvidea 128 mb card 2 Gig ram.
I'm may swap this for a 15" MBP which is only 2.0Ghz and a 128 RADEON card with 2 gig ram. My question is simple - will i notice any thing detrimental if i swapped???
Thanks in advance for your assistance:)

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
It all depends on what resolution and detail settings you'll be running at, particularly Anti-Aliasing. I'd say you'd get a good gaming experience out of either one.

PROTIP: Next time you post specs, please post the CARD MODEL NUMBER because there have been tons of different Radeon and Nvidia cards produced and I can't be bothered to recall or remember the ones used in Macs. Cheers.

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
I play CS:S at 800x600 on an AthlonXP 2500+ with a gig of DDR and a 9600XT/128Mb. That's how I roll and I get fine speeds playing online. Offline I prefer bumping up the resolution to 1280x1024, but it's ok. The 1600XT is actually comparable to the 9600XT, owing to similar GPU and GPU RAM speeds, so I would say it would be fine. The extra oomph from the CPU and RAM would make it easily playable

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
It's also worth noting that HL2 is really favourable to Radeon cards - the Valve team probably got more support from ATI development staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.