Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have an image that, let's say, looks like this:

44200095760_758cbe85ff_o.png

When I put the image onto my website (a custom platform that I cannot change/edit) and add text, it adds a 60% opacity black layer over the top of it to make sure that the text has enough contrast, making it look like this:
44200095760_758cbe85ff_o.jpg

Is there a way that I can manipulate the original image in Photoshop so that when the black semi-transparent layer is added, it will look like the original image?

I've played with a white layer using an overlay blend mode and that almost worked, but my layers were out of order (the white layer was above the black layer) and when I moved it, it didn't end up working as I'd hoped. Has anyone done something like this before? Any thoughts on how to do it that I can try? Anyone else want to try?

Reactions: AngerDanger

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
I don’t believe so, specifically because the websites overlay is interfering with the image and will always overlay it. I can only suggest taking it to a different host site, or checking out the html that’s causing the opacity to shift when text is added, but since you can’t modify it, it won’t do much for you. Can you contact the platform developers and explain what you need?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
This is such an interesting thought experiment!

Like, yeah, it's technically possible, but not guaranteed to work for every image. It will absolutely work for any image that has no whites brighter than 60% white, but it comes at the cost of fidelity.

Here are a couple of attempts pretty much doing what you've already tried; there are two white layers set to overlay and a hue/saturation layers with the saturation bumped up a little bit.

rainbow-fidelity.gif
Sheza-fidelity.gif

First the original image, then a 60% black overlay, then the attempt to counteract. Were it not for the highlights on the cat's paws, it wouldn't be too bad.

If my understanding is correct, it's possible to do with a desaturated, 60% white image, but there's no way to get around the loss in fidelity.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
This is such an interesting thought experiment!

Like, yeah, it's technically possible, but not guaranteed to work for every image. It will absolutely work for any image that has no whites brighter than 60% white, but it comes at the cost of fidelity.

Here are a couple of attempts pretty much doing what you've already tried; there are two white layers set to overlay and a hue/saturation layers with the saturation bumped up a little bit.

View attachment 1806370 View attachment 1806371

First the original image, then a 60% black overlay, then the attempt to counteract. Were it not for the highlights on the cat's paws, it wouldn't be too bad.

If my understanding is correct, it's possible to do with a desaturated, 60% white image, but there's no way to get around the loss in fidelity.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Ah, yes. I forgot to mention the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. I adjusted the saturation and the lightness and got great results on another image – not perfect, but well past "good enough."

But once I moved the adjustment layer and the white overlay under the black 60% opacity (which is the "order" things would be applied on the site), it didn't work out nearly as well.

It seems like there *should* be some combination of adjustments that could correct (within reason) for this. The image I upload to the site would, of course, look awful, but once the image is behind the semi-transparent layer, it would look "right."

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It seems like there *should* be some combination of adjustments that could correct (within reason) for this.
I think that's what makes this so interesting. To my understanding, the 60% opacity black is like taking the RGB data from the image below and multiplying them by .4 then adding them to 0,0,0 * .6.

The only way to get the same RGB values that you started out with is to multiply them by the… reciprocal of .4? So 2.5. Which is why there's a cap on the colors above 40% white (ignore the "60% white" I said in my previous post); you can't have RGB values higher than 255,255,255.

This got me thinking about 32-bit images; they won't restore whites above 40%, but it at least bumps the fidelity up a little bit. I tried a quick test and think it's an improvement. Not sure how a browser would handle images of higher color depth.

Sheza-fidelity.jpg

I guess the takeaways are that the 60% opacity rectangle does permanent damage to the image below if it's above a certain brightness because the pixel values of the PS'd image would have to be higher than is possible to counteract, and maybe 32-bit images are worth a try.

Last edited:

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
With an 8bit image colour gamut, the max white value will always be 40% in this case, just like @AngerDanger stated. The 8bit RGB value cannot go beyond a white that is RGB 255,255,255. And browsers work in 8bit colour space only, so it is what it is.

The real solution would be to inject simple CSS that increases or removes that 60% opacity, or completely hides that overlay element.

@tobefirst what kind of web platform/CMS are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.