Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
My rear camera has a crack in it, and I have a load of scratches on the front screen.

I usually upgrade my phone every year, but before I trade my phone in, has anyone had both the rear camera / screen repaired / replaced without AppleCare, how much am I looking at paying out to get my iPhone back to its former glory before parting ways with it?

Are there any other repair centers if I decide apple is too expensive?

I just want to get a good return from it, so new iPhone doesn’t cost too much.

I’m in the UK.

Thanks,

applefan2015

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
IPHONE XS MAX as mention in the prefix, attached is screenshot showing it ?

62CFAEBA-8DF7-48CA-B820-13845093C0BF.png

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don't think the scratches will be a big deal as long as they’re not cracks. The cracked camera glass on the back is a bigger issue as it can’t be replaced easily. The only method I’ve seen that is cheap entails chipping the damaged glass out piece by piece until it is completely removed. The catch is the tiny shards of glass can damage the lenses or mess with the OIS so you have to be extremely careful and make sure all debris has been removed. Replacement glass for the camera is available on ebay or other market places. Apple will not repair the camera glass, they will only replace the entire phone at great cost. A 3rd party repair shop will most likely repair it with the method I described, not sure what they would charge though.

Reactions: Applefan2015

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
I don't think the scratches will be a big deal as long as they’re not cracks. The cracked camera glass on the back is a bigger issue as it can’t be replaced easily. The only method I’ve seen that is cheap entails chipping the damaged glass out piece by piece until it is completely removed. The catch is the tiny shards of glass can damage the lenses or mess with the OIS so you have to be extremely careful and make sure all debris has been removed. Replacement glass for the camera is available on ebay or other market places. Apple will not repair the camera glass, they will only replace the entire phone at great cost. A 3rd party repair shop will most likely repair it with the method I described, not sure what they would charge though.

Thanks for your reply, here is a pic of the damaged camera.

The front screen scratches are not bad, there is one you can catch your nail on, the rest are micro scratches.

The carphone warehouse site says they will offer me £540, that’s the best offer I have seen, hopefully when they see the phone that’s what I get, don’t really want to spend stupid money getting it back to as new as possible before trading it in.

8324FCC3-4838-4597-B50B-131361641F0A.jpeg

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks for your reply, here is a pic of the damaged camera.

The front screen scratches are not bad, there is one you can catch your nail on, the rest are micro scratches.

The carphone warehouse site says they will offer me £540, that’s the best offer I have seen, hopefully when they see the phone that’s what I get, don’t really want to spend stupid money getting it back to as new as possible before trading it in.

View attachment 871979
Ok, so what you would do is take a heat gun or good hair dryer and heat the camera housing. You get a hobby knife or a flexible steel spudger from ifixit and gently go between the glass and the steal bezel of the camera housing and slowly chip the glass away until it’s gone.. Then you clean the entire area with isopropyl alcohol to remove any lingering debris or adhesive. Get a can of compressed air for cleaning keyboards and blow any dust or crap left over. Then you drop in the replacement glass which could only be a few bucks at the most and your done. I’ve seen jerryrigeverything do it in a video he made:
Here’s a more professional fix of an iPhone X which is closer to your phone setup:

Last edited:

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, so what you would do is take a heat gun or good hair dryer and heat the camera housing. You get a hobby knife or a flexible steel spudger from ifixit and gently go between the glass and the steal bezel of the camera housing and slowly chip the glass away until it’s gone.. Then you clean the entire area with isopropyl alcohol to remove any lingering debris or adhesive. Get a can of compressed air for cleaning keyboards and blow any dust or crap left over. Then you drop in the replacement glass which could only be a few bucks at the most and your done. I’ve seen jerryrigeverything do it in a video he made:
Here’s a more professional fix of an iPhone X which is closer to your phone setup:

Thanks for your reply.

I’m not that confident, so I will just see how much cpw offer me with the imperfection I currently have.

:)

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I had similar camera damage on a 7 plus and traded it in to the Apple store and they didn’t say anything about it.

Applefan2015

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
I had similar camera damage on a 7 plus and traded it in to the Apple store and they didn’t say anything about it.

Hopefully I’m in a similar position when I trade mine in.

I won’t be trading it it at Apple, as they don’t offer as much as other trade in places

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
When I checked carphone warehouse online they said £540

Music magpie £526

Apple will only offer £470 trade in, I don’t want to buy a new phone from them.
Game offered good trade in prices last year but beware: they don’t have enough cash in most stores to actually do the deal without giving them a few days notice!

When I traded my XS Max in with Apple on the upgrade program they examined it in detail. Even removed the screen protector to be sure that the screen was undamaged. I would at the very least go in with the expectation that they will charge for repair and be happy if they don’t

Last edited:

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
This can go either of two ways:

1) Cracked camera housing is immediately a full phone replacement (you have to disassemble the entire phone to replace it). If they check it in detail you'll be denied the trade-in. They won't be able to do anything with your phone (unless they're going to refurbish it and replace the entire casing) and you'll get the broken-phone trade-in value (a lot less)

2) When I traded my XR for a Pro Max, they did not inspect it (granted it only had a minor bump in the corner), but rather the genius went through the process very quickly.

You'll only know if you try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.