Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
So I ordered an Apple watch for my wife and the realized that the 44mm was going to be a bit too big so yesterday I went to the Apple store and bought her a smaller one. Unfortunately I could not cancel the order so the 44mm should be delivered soon.

My question is would it be possible to use the 2 watches on the same iPhone for a while at home. I don’t really need much more than the Watch faces and not the health or activity features on mine.
I know you can sync 2 different watches on 1 phone but would both be functional if we’re both in the same house. Also both models have the cellular option so do you think I should keep mine instead of returning it ?

thanks for you opinions

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You can pair multupul Apple Watches to 1 iPhone BUT....you can only use one watch at a time on one iPhone using 1 Apple User ID. For 2 people you need 2 iPhones and separate user accounts. All personal/Health/Fitness/App data is tied to the user account and can't be "mixed".

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
You can pair multupul Apple Watches to 1 iPhone BUT....you can only use one watch at a time on one iPhone using 1 Apple User ID. All personal/Health/Fitness/App data is tied to the user account and can't be "mixed".

Ok but what if I disable all health fitness tracking on my watch ?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Id just return the AW 44. Not sure why you want to wear a watch that's synced to her phone. Do you share an iPhone? Although possible it sounds like it would be a bit tricky since the watches are tied so deeply to the phone.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Ok but what if I disable all health fitness tracking on my watch ?

You cannot disable the health app on the iPhone. If you and your wife wanted an AW, you cannot use the same iPhone as I understand it. If you had two watches and was the single user of the phone with your own Apple ID, you can pair both and alternate. If your wife was the single user of the iPhone. with her own ID and had two watches, she could do the same. You cannot merge (mix and match) as you suggest.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Id just return the AW 44. Not sure why you want to wear a watch that's synced to her phone. Do you share an iPhone? Although possible it sounds like it would be a bit tricky since the watches are tied so deeply to the phone.

Ok thanks. Too bad Apple doesn’t allow us to synch the watch to an iPad

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
OP, the AW needs Bluetooth or WiFi to synch. Unless you have cellular, the Watch needs to be within proximity to the device. It is much more likely that you will always carry the phone with you then the iPad. Also if you both have the same phone or the same iPad, I hope you are not sharing the same Apple ID. If that’s the case, you may want to rethink things.

Last edited:

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Don't assume the 44 will be too big - let her choose what she likes best! I have tiny wrists and have always worn the larger of the two Apple Watch sizes since the original. I wear a space grey S5 44mm now and absolutely love the screen size.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
So I finally received the 2nd S5 Apple watch I had ordered and decided to keep them both. So far everything works great. The 2 watches are paired with the same phone and I can easily switch without any problems.

The newer models are now much more independent than people believe. I can even browse reddit and twitter with Chirp and Nano while the watch isn't paired. Since my wife mostly uses WhatsApp to communicate there's not much need for the imessage and phone feature.

If I ever need to sync the phone for something I just borrow hers for a few minutes than unpair and Voila !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.