Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I need to replace my rear CPU cage fan. It is starting to get noisy indicating bearing wear.

It looks like I should be able to remove the fan after sliding out the CPU tray without removing the full cage. It appears to be held in place by a tab/clip. The plug might be a bit of fiddle but looks accessible.

Is that correct?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
I assume you have a Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1 ?

The Processor Cage needs to be removed before you can remove either the front air intake or rear exhaust fans .

It's not hard .

I'll guide you through it if you like .

Do you need a fan ? Shoot me a few bucks for postage and I'll send you a cleaned one at no charge . I have some spares and they last forever .

Reactions: haralds

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I assume you have a Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1 ?

The Processor Cage needs to be removed before you can remove either the front air intake or rear exhaust fans .

It's not hard .

I'll guide you through it if you like .

Do you need a fan ? Shoot me a few bucks for postage and I'll send you a cleaned one at no charge . I have some spares and they last forever .
Thank you.
I have a fan already and I have pulled the cage before. I just wanted to schedule enough time and hoped to avoid the tedium of removing everything. I always find the PCIe fan-pull a little scary, mine took quite a bit of force last time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.