Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrashyTrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Hey i got a question. I have a widget installed named "fanny". that tells me the current cpu temperature.

But also at the same time i have terminal running sudo powermetrics -s smc | grep -i „CPU die temperature“.

Comparing now both temperatures there are off all the time. sometimes off by 10 °c. which one is more accurate? They dont even match once. i hope u can help me out. thank you.

p.s. which cpu and gpu temperatures are normal? which arent? thank you all

Last edited:

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
There are multiple sensors on different parts of the CPU and 10 °C differences between them are not uncommon. Assuming both readings are correct, I'd pay more attention to the hotter sensor.

Anything between ambient temperature and 100 °C is nominal, anything above that is either a faulty sensor or the machine is melting. Obviously it's not okay if you open Safari and the temps jump to 100 °C, but after a while of sustained 100% load it's possible to see those numbers (number crunching, heavier games). MacBooks usually run pretty hot.

Btw I use Macs Fan Control to get my temperatures, it's free, works fine and it lists many different sensors (CPU, GPU, SSD, battery, palm rests etc.)

Reactions: TrashyTrash

TrashyTrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
There are multiple sensors on different parts of the CPU and 10 °C differences between them are not uncommon. Assuming both readings are correct, I'd pay more attention to the hotter sensor.

Anything between ambient temperature and 100 °C is nominal, anything above that is either a faulty sensor or the machine is melting. Obviously it's not okay if you open Safari and the temps jump to 100 °C, but after a while of sustained 100% load it's possible to see those numbers (number crunching, heavier games). MacBooks usually run pretty hot.

Btw I use Macs Fan Control to get my temperatures, it's free, works fine and it lists many different sensors (CPU, GPU, SSD, battery, palm rests etc.)
thx for making that clear. i have terminal On all the time so i keep my eye on that. just wanted to check since i have my imac screen connected to my macbook pro via thunderbolt and the fan already starts kicking in, at least my macbook gets kinda loud. but temp. is around 80°c .

TrashyTrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Probably i would suggest you to use TG Pro , One of the best CPU temperature monitors that literally serves the purpose of extending the life of your Mac in the most accurate way. Like the above temperature monitors, TG Pro also watches closely and monitors the sensor temperatures. And in case any of them are heating more than they are supposed to, it boosts the fan speed and tries to keep the Mac cool.

TG Pro performs hardware diagnostics and checks the battery health to take appropriate actions that come in favor of using Mac to an optimum level.
thanks for the tip. will check that out =)

Reactions: mariyamichle

iTundra

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Is there any/much risk of accidentally overheating a mac when using something like macs fan control or TG? Recommendations between these two (or others)?

Thanks,

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Is there any/much risk of accidentally overheating a mac when using something like macs fan control or TG?
Not really, the computer will work even if the fan fails, it will just reach max temperature almost immediately and throttle like crazy. The M1 Air doesn't even have a fan and it only has throttling for thermal management.

Reactions: iTundra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.