Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElijahGlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
I'm seeing an issue with my 2018 MacBook Pro i9 spec'd machine. I don't think it's temperature related, thinking more voltage drain. Interested to see if anyone else has the same issues. Current setup is 80W . USB apple charger and 1x 4k screen connected via DisplayPort.

Intel Power Gadget reports 0.8 GHz core clock, and kernal_task eats 99% of the CPU until the screen is unplugged and plugged in again.

Screenshots uploaded
https://imgur.com/a/aI922fy

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
That's...not how that's supposed to work.

It looks like your fans are running at full speed too?

I would try a restart first considering that your system is reporting to have been awake for over eight days. If that does not resolve it, I would recommend performing a SMC reset. The process is different for the 2018 models.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Kernel task using a majority of your CPU usually means that some other process has gone rouge and has been using excessive amounts of CPU cycles and causing excessive heat as a result.

kernel task attempts to take control of the CPU cycles but doesn’t perform any actual processing, hence why your CPU is down clocked to 800mhz. Usually a restart/killing the rouge process or waiting a few minutes resolves the issue.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Try resetting SMC, if this doesn’t work i’d RMA it. Does this behavior only occur with Citrix, or do you also see it when running other stuff? Try for example starting cinebench (it’s a free download). You need to rule out that it’s Citrix doing something weird.

ElijahGlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
Apple has been notified of the issue, their engineering team are following up. Nothing to do with Citrix, it just appeared in the screenshot as next to iStatMenus. You can't kill kernal_task it's part of the main OS and even then eating the CPU is caused by a base clock speed of 800 MHz.

colincjw

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Apple has been notified of the issue, their engineering team are following up. Nothing to do with Citrix, it just appeared in the screenshot as next to iStatMenus. You can't kill kernal_task it's part of the main OS and even then eating the CPU is caused by a base clock speed of 800 MHz.

You're not the only one. Facing this massive bummer here every week with throttling ranging from 800mhz to 1.0ghz. The engineers I spoke to can't seem to identify the root cause but advised to take it in.

jGfDG4V.png

H0jM5zv.png

Guess I'm gonna take it in, but do keep me posted if you hear from them!

• Love
Reactions: astroboylrx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.