Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kerry91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

Has anyone here ever experienced some CPU throttling / slow performances on their iPhone before the battery capacity reached 80% ?

I recently bought an used iPhone XS at 82% battery life (3 years old) and I’m facing some performances issues when I’m heavily using it.

The overall performance is smooth but this changes when the workload gets higher. For instance when I’m driving I use Carplay + Waze + Deezer / Youtube + a radar app in the background, then after few seconds the phone becomes hot and reaaaally slow. It also totally freezes sometimes and then my Carplay gets disconnected.

I’m surprised because the XS is still a decently powerful phone and with the same usage this situation never happened to my previous XS even at 85% (I sold it for a 11 few months ago before coming back to the XS).

When I check the battery health status => Peak Performance Capability, it’s written that the phone is currently supporting normal peak performance. I also ran a benchmark on Geebenk 5 and I get normal results for the XS (1107 single-core score, 2662 Multi-core score).

So, has anyone here experienced something similar ? Or maybe I just got a faulty device ?

Maybe a battery replacement would improve the performances but since mince still hasn’t reached 80% I’m worried that this would not improve the situation.

Thank you in advance guys.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If an iPhone gets too hot it’ll throttle the cpu regardless of the battery health.
It isn’t surprising it overheats using all those apps simultaneously while plugged in.
An iPhone can get very warm just charging and not using it.

Reactions: MarkX

Kerry91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2020
Thank you for your replies.

Update : I have made the battery changed by Apple last week and this hasn't solved the performances issue. Yes I get better battery life, but the phone keeps freezing on Carplay and lags very badly when I use many applications in the same time.

I'm on iOS 15.4.1, I'll try to install the 15.5 beta to see if there will be some improvements.

Has anyone here encountered a similar problem ?

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.