Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lusaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
My 5 month old screen has cracked, not guaranteed apparently!!! The original was replaced due to the coating issue (Macbook Pro 13").

From what I read on the internet, I can buy a monitor, or a replacement screen from Ebay. So can someone kindly advise me?

If I get a monitor - I want to know if I can turn off the Mac screen as it is flashing wildly; apart from the obvious, I am concerned about damage to the hard drive.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Lusaki

Attachments

• IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 388

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
f I get a monitor - I want to know if I can turn off the Mac screen as it is flashing wildly; apart from the obvious, I am concerned about damage to the hard drive.
You can use the MBP in what is called clamshell mode, i.e., the lid closed. This should prevent you being distracted by the flashing screen.

From what I read on the internet, I can buy a monitor, or a replacement screen from Ebay. So can someone kindly advise me?
It depends on how comfortable you feel about doing something that could be technically challenging. From what I know the display panel is laminated to the top lid and so you need to replace the entire top panel of the laptop.

Take a look at this link
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...Early+2015+Display+Assembly+Replacement/45135

Lusaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
You can use the MBP in what is called clamshell mode, i.e., the lid closed. This should prevent you being distracted by the flashing screen.

It depends on how comfortable you feel about doing something that could be technically challenging. From what I know the display panel is laminated to the top lid and so you need to replace the entire top panel of the laptop.

Take a look at this link
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...Early+2015+Display+Assembly+Replacement/45135

Thanks for swift reply.
OMG! I think I will pass on this one - even the tools sound complicated. The article I read made it sound so easy.

So it looks like the monitor then as the repair cost is prohibitive. I must say I am surprised the build of this Mac is very poor; After 5 months the coating began to come off the keys. Now 2 cracked screens. The latest while it slept on a table, with no accidents..... My 2006 Macbook which I am currently using, appears to have been BUILT to last - at least I hope so

Do you think I can switch off the computer screen?

I have given 30 points as I feel you have saved me making a very big mistake.

Thanks, Lusaki

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My 5 month old screen has cracked, not guaranteed apparently!!! The original was replaced due to the coating issue (Macbook Pro 13").

If I get a monitor - I want to know if I can turn off the Mac screen as it is flashing wildly; apart from the obvious, I am concerned about damage to the hard drive.

You can buy a monitor and a mouse and keyboard and then use the MacBook with its lid closed. I have a 2006 MacBook where the screen stopped working, and it has been working just fine as a server for the last few years. It actually works just fine (but a bit slow, being a 2006 MacBook with 2GB RAM :) )

I'd take the MacBook to an Apple Store to let them check out if it is fine apart from screen, especially if your screen is physically damaged, just to be safe. And it is recommended to discharge your battery once a month to avoid damage to it, but then whether the battery works well or not isn't very important in your situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.