Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
You've apparently alot to learn about insurance.

I've paid over $10,000 in total for insurance for my pickup truck that I've owned since new that I paid $36,000 for new way back in 2001.

It sucks since I've never ever made a claim in all that time.

Welcome to insurance.

Meanwhile where's your vitriol on this against the case maker and screen protector manufacturer?

Why are you singling out Apple here? Seems to me they should be the target of your ire...
You're legally required to have car insurance in most states (or pay a steep annual fee to go uninsured). And this is partly for the benefit of anyone else you might impact in a crash. And the dollars involved in vehicular crashes can potentially be enormous. They're always significant. Entirely different situations.

The manufacturer of the screen protector didn't make the sorts of claims Apple has. Look at the ads for screen protectors. They rarely (on purpose) suggest anything about keeping your screen safe from destruction. They typically advertise clarity and scratch protection. They also cost less than $10 a piece, often far less, and often the manufacturers will send you free replacements if you mention you broke one.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
You're legally required to have car insurance in most states (or pay a steep annual fee to go uninsured). And this is partly for the benefit of anyone else you might impact in a crash. And the dollars involved in vehicular crashes can potentially be enormous. They're always significant. Entirely different situations.

The manufacturer of the screen protector didn't make the sorts of claims Apple has. Look at the ads for screen protectors. They rarely (on purpose) suggest anything about keeping your screen safe from destruction. They typically advertise clarity and scratch protection. They also cost less than $10 a piece, often far less, and often the manufacturers will send you free replacements if you mention you broke one.

All most of us are seeing here is posts of someone apparently refusing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Reactions: glaze

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I've dropped phones before and broken the screen. In hindsight I should not have dropped it.

I never even considered whining to Apple. I guess I've just never felt that entitled.

Reactions: glaze and TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
You're legally required to have car insurance in most states
In your apparent zeal to attempt to score a point, you zipped right past the nuance.

You are required to have insurance - yes - but you’re required to only have some set minimums. Anything else you want to have above that, is up to you. You have to have a minimum - you can choose to have more.

I paid to be fully comprehensive with increased coverage - I could have saved easily over half of that amount if I’d stuck to the basic requirement. I didn’t.

As I said. Welcome to insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.