Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
During the introduction yesterday, there has been a lot on the "FaceID Fail", but when I saw it again, here is what I think happened.

TouchID needs to have your passcode when you first log in to enable it
It appears that during this demo, the phone was first turned on, and needed the passcode to enable FaceID, just like TouchID. When it said, "Enter Passcode to enable FaceID," that was my clue that it was intentional.
His only failure on this was not acknowledging that this is normal, and intended behavior

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
During the introduction yesterday, there has been a lot on the "FaceID Fail", but when I saw it again, here is what I think happened.

TouchID needs to have your passcode when you first log in to enable it
It appears that during this demo, the phone was first turned on, and needed the passcode to enable FaceID, just like TouchID. When it said, "Enter Passcode to enable FaceID," that was my clue that it was intentional.
His only failure on this was not acknowledging that this is normal, and intended behavior
Never mind the hows and whys, it looked spectacularly bad for such a much hyped feature.

It was bad luck for it to happen. Somewhere someone screwed up and him muttering something along the lines of "oh, that's not supposed to happen" confirmed that it was a problem he did not expect to come up.

But you know what they say about first impressions? They do count. :)

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.