Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctorcloudbase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

Thanks to the help of people on these forums, a few months ago I upgraded my 27inch, 5K 19,1 iMac to core i9 9900K, 128Gb RAM & SSD for the ultimate Intel-based Mac. I then also had some help with creating a Windows 10 Bootcamp, on an external TB3-attached NVMe SSD. I have (had) a a Razor CoreX enclosure with a Randeon 6800XT in it, also TB3-attached.

Everything worked well for a bit, but with increasing frequency, the iMac, after a period of time on (typically about an hour), freezes - no cursor movement then no cursor, and within 1-2min crashes. Sometime it will reboot, and when it does it comes back up completely normally. Sometime however it seems stuck in the reboot, and I have to leave it and perhaps the next day, it will turn on again. This has been happening with increasing frequency until today I've had a series of these crashes, and now it won't reboot - no sounds, no lights, no power - 'dead'.

I had been trying to work out the problem in the meantime. Firstly, I disconnected the Windows SSD and Razor CoreX (which seems to be 'separately' dead too - that's another process of inquiry I have to make), and eventually an ANKER TB3 switch that I had connected, as I did wonder about clashes across the TB3 interface between Windows, the eGPU etc - but the problems continued.

Since on some occasions it would boot super-fast (as it should), on others it could take >15 minutes to boot, but end up running normally. I assumed 'software' conflicts, and so having CleanMyMac, Parallels Toolbox and Settapp things at boot, I wondered about conflicts there. In particular I soon realised that my Sophos antimalware was probably surplus to requirements given CleanMyMac has built-in scanning feature, AND my NordVPN would try to offer 'scans' too. I uninstalled Sophos (seemed to take several attempts, kept 'not' - or 'reappearing' on reboot!), and I started a tech-support dialog with MacPaws (CleanMyMac's dev). Thus far they've not really given me anything helpful, but in my travels I did extract some log files from Console, run EtreCheck and export that report, and finally two of CleanMyMac's own logging diagnostics.

Looking at these logs is not my area of expertise, but I can obviously see that some of the crashes are logged as 'system', others attributed to some of the softwares I have mentioned. There is the usual memory-address 'dump' associated with the log-file, which I find completely unintelligible - but am hoping someone here might make diagnositic sense of it all?:

1) - Attachments
2) - Mac's logs, here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jv7atrej14lju7r/AADrtvSyyrIylB9-WT_wkYdIa?dl=0

I am aware that perhaps something has been progressively wrong, since I had the iMac open, when I made the hardware upgrades. ie 'hardware'm and the failure mode of 'increasingly common crashes' might corrospond more to a piece of hardware failing, than software? - excessive thermals from the faster CPU; or, an error in one of the RAM modules? I think not however, any conflict in terms of the I/O, having basically now 'unplugged everything'!

What about the Power Board? I've read a few accounts of these going, in which case if I can source a replacement, I can invest the time and money in that upgrade. BUT I don't want to play with that, unless the collective wisdom here feels that that is almost certainly the 'next best guess'...

All your expertise is very welcome!

Thanks, Damian

PS - as at the present time this iMac will not power-on, the attachments are 'second-hand', coming from attachments previously sent to CleanMyMac. Sorry!

Attachments

• Damian Smith_2022-08-20_12-52-35.zip
    205.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Translated Report.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 168
  • iMacetrecheck.zip
    396.2 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.