Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Sorry for threadjacking. Just thought there would be more readers in this thread than if i create new for one simple question.

I just upgraded 1 old Mac Pro to dual Xeon 5690 and wanted to add RAM.
All RAM slots are not working, due to problems below so i had to rearrange them.
Does this impact performance of the machine?
Thanks!

AliExpress supplied couple of CPUs that were in very bad condition, and only refunded one of them.

IMG_3713.jpg IMG_3714.jpg

I delidded them both in a vice and mounted them, and one of them was missing 2 or 3 contact pads for VCC / GND. I made the conclusion that maybe the CPU will run without them and mounted the CPU. Machine boots and runs fine, however RAM slot 5 is not active.

And since i wanted to put more RAM in the machine, this in not very good. Because using 4 modules should be in the 1+2 5+6 slots.

Does anyone know how much this impacts the performance, if i run slot 1+2 and 6+7 instead?

They are all running on 1333Mhz after the PRAM reset and no memory problems are present.

1709381379370.png

aldolisboa

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Hello gentlemen, I upgraded my Mac Pro 5.1 to a Xeon X5690 processor, I bought 2 memory modules 32GB DDR3L 1333MHz PC3L-10600R, the memories do not generate a red error light on the motherboard, the boot sound plays on the Mac Pro , the selection screen between MacOS Sonoma (on an SSD) and Monterray (on an NVMe) appears, but neither of them can advance on the Apple screen, the progress screen does not appear. When I return to the old memory modules, operation is normal. I'm running Opencore 1.4.0. What to do?

Attachments

• IMG_0364.png
    IMG_0364.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

aldolisboa

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Hello all,

Yes, I did it, it is really nice to get 128GB RAM when you only have a single CPU.
My case is identical to yours. MacPro 4.1 > 5.1 single processor (1 Xeon X5690), 4x 32GB DDR3L 10600R, boot on Linux OK (128GB detected), but on MacOS I get stuck at boot, it stays on the apple screen but the progress bar is not shown. Can you help me?

aldolisboa

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
you need to use opencore
I have a Mac Pro 4.1 > 5.1 and I already use Opencore in version 1.4.2, with Sonoma. Automatically it does not advance in Boot with 32GB memories per module, I want to know what configuration I should do to break this barrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.