Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam Webb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Hi, I ordered a custom Macbook pro a couple weeks ago and according to Apple it should be coming tomorrow on Friday. I live on the UK and so far the journey this Macbook has taken seems to make no sense to me.

15/07/2020 - 13:49
Incheon, Korea, Republic of
Your package is in transit. We're updating plans to schedule your delivery. / The package will be forwarded to a UPS facility in the destination city.
Less
15/07/2020 - 13:46

Your package is in transit. We're updating plans to schedule your delivery.

15/07/2020 - 10:03

Arrived at Facility

15/07/2020 - 7:42
Shanghai, China

Departed from Facility

15/07/2020 - 5:37

14/07/2020 - 9:57
Shanghai, China

Export Scan

13/07/2020 - 20:55
Shanghai, China

Arrived at Facility

13/07/2020 - 20:40
Shanghai, China

Departed from Facility

13/07/2020 - 18:54
Shanghai, China

Your package is in transit. We're updating plans to schedule your delivery. / The package will be forwarded to a UPS facility in the destination city.
Less

13/07/2020 - 18:29
Shanghai, China

13/07/2020 - 10:46

Your package was released by the clearing agency.

13/07/2020 - 9:23

Your parcel was released by the customs agency.

13/07/2020 - 9:23

Your package is being processed at the clearance agency.

Past Event

Shipped
13/07/2020 - 15:56
Shanghai, China
Origin Scan
Past Event

Label Created
13/07/2020 - 13:37
China
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Will this really still be delivered tomorrow? Especially seeing as it has been sat in Korea for almost two days and since then has had no different tracking information. Or is it possible that it may almost be here and that the tracking has not updated? If anyone has had any issues like this please let me know :).

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not sure what so "crazy" about it. The fact that Incheon is the third largest airport for cargo in the world?

It's a standard route for UPS. Shanghai-Incheon-Kazakhstan-Poland.

acantril

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
I ordered a macbook pro on 1st July ... originally due for delivery 14th July
Was delayed and dispatched 11th of July
I have one tracking even for 17:35 on JUly 11th in China
nothing since
So your journey doesn't seem all that unusual.

Bradbhanes

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
Apple is shipping with UPS, which then determines the most economical route to ship to the USA. With Incheon, Korea being a central UPS hub in Asia, many products are being sent into and out of this airport. I’m sure UPS has a very modern sorting center in Incheon, Korea. Once UPS had a full load, you will see your shipment head for the states from Incheon. Then onward to individual destinations in the United States. Complicated, but not hugely.

Last edited:

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Apple is shipping with UPS, which then determines the most economical route to ship to the USA. With Incheon, Korea being a central UPS hub in Asia, many products are being sent into and out of this airport. I’m sure UPS has a very modern sorting center in Incheon, Korea. Once UPS had a full load, you will see your shipment head for the states from Incheon. Then onward to individual destinations in the United States. Complicated, but not hugely.
I’m sorry, but OP stated that they live in the UK, not the US. The item is shipped to the UK, not the US.

Reactions: JPack

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
3 years ago... (lots of delays/layovers, etc, due to world-wide situation at that time - remember?)
And, in 3 years, the OP would have had enough time to walk to Asia for a pick-up.

OP never came back with a report of actually receiving anything.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I ordered an iPhone 6 direct from Apple for its launch. I remember the tracking actually jumped backwards and forwards in time due to crossing the International Date Line and going from Shenzen to Hong Kong to Anchorage, then to Louisville (to clear customs) and back to Anchorage. I named that phone "TARDIS" because of the weird tracking...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

You had nearly three years to read this thread, but still wrong. :D

A lot of stuff goes to APAC and EMEA. Incheon is the pivot point for UPS.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

The vast majority of product coming from Asia (including China, South Korea, and Japan) actually routes through Anchorage before reaching the lower 48. The reason for that is twofold: because of great circle routes, it's a shorter flight from Incheon to Anchorage than to Los Angeles, Seattle, or San Francisco. Second, it costs the airlines less to land in Anchorage than in many other locations. There is a reason Anchorage was the 4th busiest airport for cargo in the world in 2021, and moved up to #3 in 2022, trailing only Memphis (FedEx main hub) and Hong Kong in 2022. Anchorage is also equidistant from Tokyo and NYC, which makes it attractive for those long-haul routes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.