Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscleous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
Apple exchanged my display with a new one after having a gray spot on my screen. After the exchange, there are some creaking noises that come from the right side of the underbody. The noises are unregular and come only 1 to 4 times a day. I was in apple store and they told me there wasn't any visible hardware problem. They screwed in again but the problem still exists. Does anybody have a similar problem? I can not drive to apple store every weekend because the nearest one is 100 km away. I would like to know how I could solve this irritating problem.

I uploaded 2 videos with which you can see the problem.

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

Adam.Kb2Jpd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2018
Apple exchanged my display with a new one after having a gray spot on my screen. After the exchange, there are some creaking noises that come from the right side of the underbody. The noises are unregular and come only 1 to 4 times a day. I was in apple store and they told me there wasn't any visible hardware problem. They screwed in again but the problem still exists. Does anybody have a similar problem? I can not drive to apple store every weekend because the nearest one is 100 km away. I would like to know how I could solve this irritating problem.

I uploaded 2 videos with which you can see the problem.

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

The problem should be between the screens hinges and the screws. Sounds like there is enough space between the screen and laptop body for slight movement.

Call Apple directly. Their phone support is excellent. Send them the URL of your YouTube video. I'll bet they will find it disturbing as well.

If the tech support feels the same way, you will given a few choices.

Reactions: Muscleous

Muscleous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2016
The problem should be between the screens hinges and the screws. Sounds like there is enough space between the screen and laptop body for slight movement.

Call Apple directly. Their phone support is excellent. Send them the URL of your YouTube video. I'll bet they will find it disturbing as well.

If the tech support feels the same way, you will given a few choices.

Thank you very much for your answer!
I showed both videos to the technical staff in Apple store. They opened up the Macbook and couldn't identify any problem. They told me the only thing that might cause the noise were the screws. So they screwed in again. When I came home I realized that the problem wasn't solved (couldn't do it there as the problem only occurs once in a while).

I'm not as optimistic as you are about the phone support because they mostly want to make an appointment with the Apple Store and cant help sufficiently about technical issues. But I will try to show them the video. Thanks for your advice!

Adam.Kb2Jpd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2018
Thank you very much for your answer!
I showed both videos to the technical staff in Apple store. They opened up the Macbook and couldn't identify any problem. They told me the only thing that might cause the noise were the screws. So they screwed in again. When I came home I realized that the problem wasn't solved (couldn't do it there as the problem only occurs once in a while).

I'm not as optimistic as you are about the phone support because they mostly want to make an appointment with the Apple Store and cant help sufficiently about technical issues. But I will try to show them the video. Thanks for your advice!

I'd like to give you more technical advice but I'm not there and I don't want you to damage the laptop anymore than it has to be.

The parts have a bit more clearance than they should. If you want, you can try to put a large book flat on the top of the machine on a flat table for an duration of an hour. Make sure the book weighs as much as the laptop and not a lot more.

Maybe, just maybe that may work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.