Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemanit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Italy
Hi everyone!
I decided to create my own website and so I bought a personal domain.
Now I just have to fill my domain with my website but before doing this I would like to work to my website from local.
I remeber once I was a teenager I used apache and mysql and I was able to display my website from local.
Thus I used a little program to upload the content of my local website online.
I really don't remeber anything about this process. Maybe someone can fresh up my memory?

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
Maybe you want to use something like MAMP to develop and test locally and then transfer over to the live host site?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Reactions: applemanit

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
To create a local website you don't need anything more than a text editor and a browser ;) Only when you want to use a big framework like for example Wordpress then you'll need a bit more.

But even then I wouldn't install MAMP locally in 2022, just use Docker. Or even easier just do it online.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I use the free version of Local by Flywheel for my Wordpress sites. I used MAMP until about five years ago, but I found Local to be much easier. You just select the "Create a new site" option, and then specify the site name and local directory path, and Local does the rest. You can have multiple sites. I have a copy of the site I built for my wife's business in 2015 (she retired last year, so we took down the live site) as well as a hobby site of my own that I like to tinker with.

Reactions: Boyd01

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
What is the question being asked? It seems the local site has been created, and now wants to upload the site to live on the internet.
2 ways.
FTP program, log into your domain's user/html folder and upload the file to your site.
cPanel - log into your cPanel account and use the file manager to upload your files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.