Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2022
hi
I'm new to ios..
i bought mini 1yr ago..
i can't find answer for this anywhere :::

i just wanna create folder on desktop, download everything to it..

why is that so hard?

thx

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
You've had an ipad one year and you're still not getting the fact that it's not a traditional desktop computer? No offense.. but you may want to watch some MacOS versus iPad OS comparison videos on youtube.

What do you mean downloads? from Safari? By default files save to "On my iPad" / Downloads

Add the files app to your home screen (Desktop on iOS) or OR Add a Files Widget that has your "Recents" which would likely include your recently downloaded files onto your home screen.

amka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2022
thx so much for the ios shaming..
what difference does it make what browser i use..
i want to change default directories..
this is basic stuff and should not be mysterious
I'm wondering why i paid so much for this if i have no control or
need to jump thru sooo many opaque hoops

thx

Reactions: jackoverfull

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

thx

That's just the way iPadOS operates - many of the file management operations you may be familiar with from other operating systems aren't available in iPadOS because of its sandboxed approach.

• Haha
Reactions: KeithBN and jdb8167

amka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2022
tyvm

as it is, it's really not usable..
i should look for a jail break solution or such..

idk..

thx again

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
As others already pointed out, you can assign any folder for downloads.

What you can do to put it e.g. on the home screen is: open the files app. change to the “Downloads“ folder within. Adjust the sorting e.g. sort by date, newest files first; activate or deactivate the sidebar.
Then create a shortcut to the files app, give it an icon of your choice, and place it where you want.
That’s as close as you can get on iPadOS <=15.3.1

whatever you e.g. download with whatever browser will be available there.

EDIT: corrections

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018

thx
I think the responder said it pretty clearly

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Change the default download folder in safari settings if you need to.

Then use shortcuts app to make a shortcut icon that opens the download folder. Put it on your home screen.

Reactions: jdb8167

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I haven't had a need or desire to do that but it's good to know - thanks for the info.
I have a special folder I created in files (‘on my iPad’) called ‘iPad HD’ which has four folders in it. One of them is my local downloads folder. I have this as a widget on my homescreen for easy access. FYI I have another similar folder on iCloud called iCloud HD, with another 4 relevent-to-me folders. Theyre both in a stack. It’s useful!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have a special folder I created in files (‘on my iPad’) called ‘iPad HD’ which has four folders in it. One of them is my local downloads folder. I have this as a widget on my homescreen for easy access. FYI I have another similar folder on iCloud called iCloud HD, with another 4 relevent-to-me folders. Theyre both in a stack. It’s useful!

Nice. I had done something similar using FileBrowser Pro which I use for general file management on my iPad - create a desktop link to a folder in FB which in turn contained my relevant-to-me folders.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Nice. I had done something similar using FileBrowser Pro which I use for general file management on my iPad - create a desktop link to a folder in FB which in turn contained my relevant-to-me folders.
This is a very helpful answer. Thankfully without the judgement and snark of the first responder.

Reactions: sparksd

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
You've had an ipad one year and you're still not getting the fact that it's not a traditional desktop computer? No offense.. but you may want to watch some MacOS versus iPad OS comparison videos on youtube.

What do you mean downloads? from Safari? By default files save to "On my iPad" / Downloads

Add the files app to your home screen (Desktop on iOS) or OR Add a Files Widget that has your "Recents" which would likely include your recently downloaded files onto your home screen.
Damn right iPad is not a traditional computer. THAT'S WHY WE LOVE IT! We are more impressed by those use their brains to come up with creative solutions using iOS's app-based model, and less impressed by those who display their tech snobbery by shaming those who ask for assistance.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008

Immediate knee jerk reaction of a response that is utterly wrong. Got to love zealots.

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
Could it be that you paid so much for something that doesn't satisfy your requirements because you did zero research and purchased the wrong thing despite Apple offering exactly what you need in multiple other product lines? When five minutes of reading online could've made your money well spent?

No, that can't be it - it's Apple that must be wrong!

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019

thx

It sounds like iPadOS is not the right device for you as it's never meant to be used in this way or as a total laptop replacement. But Surface & Android tablets are probably what would fulfill your needs. You can sell the iPad on Swappa or eBay since you've had it for a yer and can not return it to Apple.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
tyvm

as it is, it's really not usable..
i should look for a jail break solution or such..

idk..

thx again

But see, this reply makes me think you actually do know what it can and can't do and you're perhaps trying to get certain reactions from this forum. If you know how to jailbreak or understand the concept of it which is pretty specific to Apple devices, then you knew that you couldn't change the "download folder."

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
“Currently it creates a billion new home pages.”

It creates one. Then you move the app where you want. Or, have it download direct into the app draw. Talk about a first world over reaction to a first world problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.