Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
So MacOS doesn't have the ability to create nested folders in list view when highlighting the folder you want to create a new nested folder? You have to create within the window and then move it. In Icon and Column view where it displays the tree and the opened folder you can then create a new nested folder. Is that by design?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This works for me.
I don't understand your statement, "You have to create within the window and then move it."
If you're in the folder and you create a new one, why do you have to move it?

An attempt to understand:
You have a folder "Nesting" with three folders within it, A, B, and C.
You want to create a new folder in C while remaining in the folder Nesting?

No, you can't do that. You identified one option; create a new folder D in Nesting, then move it to C. The other option that comes to mind readily is to open C and create D, then go back to Nesting. D will show up under C.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I understand the issue and have also found it annoying. AFAIK, MacOS has always been like that, not sure if it's "by design" or just something that most people don't care about. Here's an example. I open the nested ortho folder, highlight a file inside it, then create a new folder.

a.png

But the new folder is created inside the "parent" of the ortho folder

b.png

The results are the same if I highlight the ortho folder and create a new folder. I don't know of any way to create a folder inside a nested folder like this, you actually have to open the desired folder in list view before creating a new folder (or manually move the new folder inside the nested folder, as you said)..

Last edited:
Reactions: MacDaddyPanda

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
I'd guess at sort of consistency, since say, if you’re viewing the actual Desktop, with a folder selected & use File menu - New Folder : I’m not sure that many would think it expected behavior for the new folder to be created within that folder rather than on the Desktop…

or if it was 'fixed' - maybe there'd be others asking why they have to de-select folders in list view before creating new ones in the one whose name is shown at the top of the window

still, an option would be a nice compromise - an extra key to enable 'new folder in selected-name'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.