Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macminimess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2022
1) I want to use OCLP to install Ventura (or maybe Monterey) on my Late 2012 Mac mini (Macmini6, 1). Will there be any difference in the installer created, if I do so on my 2018 Mac mini (selecting the target machine in settings), than if I actually did it on the Late 2012 Mac mini? Would it be better customized for the 2012's hardware if I make it on that machine? The reason I am asking is that the Late 2012 Mac mini is currently partially disassembled.

2) I am in the middle of trying to add an SSD to the lower bay of the Late 2012 Mac mini (the bay that is most easily accessible when the machine is upside down). I was planning to replace the sole HD in the machine with an SSD, but when I opened the machine, I found the HD to be in the less accessible upper drive bay. So instead of replacing it, I am now planning to leave the HD in place, and add the SSD to the lower bay. I am hoping that I can ease the SSD into place without having to move the logic board, and therefore without having to disconnect anything from the logic board (since this has caused problems for a lot of users who comment on the IFixIt Guide). Does anyone know if it's possible to add the SSD to the lower bay (the one on top, when the machine is upside down) without moving the logic board? (This project was halted while I waited to receive the necessary lower bay SATA cable and Torx screws. Hope to resume work on it soon.)

Thank you!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I do 1) all the time. Selecting target machine will be the same as running automatically on the same machine.
I even do something trickier: I run OCLP to overwrite the EFI volume of an external SSD, which already has Mac OS installed, to be later running on the target machine without having to re-install Mac OS from scratch. That's how OCLP convenient.

2) If the SSD case takes too much place, just remove it and use only the internal circuit. the bare SSD takes only 1/4 space of a normal SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.