Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danieltjindaidy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
So, backstory, I tried installing macOS Monterey on my 2020 Intel MacBook Pro. However, the update app keeps crashing, and when I made a bootable installer for Monterey, it threw me an error that says "A software update is required to use this startup disk". Of course, I Googled the problem, but none of the solutions provided worked for me. So, that got me thinking, I am running Big Sur, and it thinks that I had to perform a firmware update first, then I can install Monterey. Then my idea was to create a Monterey installer, format the internal storage and install Monterey. I created the installer, and go to Recovery mode, and format the entire SSD. I rebooted, then hold down Option, there was the Install macOS Monterey installer. I clicked on it, then it starts Internet Recovery. I connected to the Internet, and I don't want to reinstall macOS with my slow intenet. So I had a macOS Big Sur installer lying around on my external hard drive. So, I go to Disk Utility, partition the hard drive for the Big Sur installer, and now I'm trying to figure a way to make the 'createinstallmedia' command work on the recovery terminal. I tried typing 'sudo' and it says command not found and I know that the createinstallmedia won't work.

TLDR: I'm trying to make a macOS Big Sur installer on recovery mode because I stupidly format my MacBook Pro's SSD. Is it possible?

JanezP

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
Japan
Well, I'm having exactly the same problem with the creation of BigSur bootable USB Stick. After reboot with USB Stick the progress bar would freeze at .. less than one minute remaining ... and that's as far as I get. Any solutions out there? Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.