Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Hello. Not exactly sure what to call the thing I need help with.

So I just broke down and created a Twitter account for my business. And in my profile they have this circle thing that is suppsoed to be your logo/icon/branding thing.

I created a white square with my company name and imported it into Twitter, and then Twitter turned it into a circle.

The problem is that because my company name is 10 characters long, the font looks tiny in this circle that Twitter wants me to use as my brand image.

(It's simple geometry in that a word put inside a circle will look tiny!)

So what can I do to fix this?

For now, my brand name is just my company name with colored text (think: "Microsoft").

Down the road, I would like to possibly create something a little more sophicated like...
1593705709202.png

...but that will have to wait for now.

When I first created my Twitter account, they gave me a fuchsia circle with the first letter of my company name, but that isn't what I want for this circle thing?!

Thoughts?

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I would direct you to https://twitter.com/mariagamesa

She's a graphic designer and illustrator that I've used in the past. Her prices are really affordable, specially since the relation USD/MXP is an advantage to you.

Give her a holler, she's bilingual...

I'm locked out of my Twitter account right now. I signed up, and didn't have a mobile plan at the time, and they suspended my account even though I have never used it. Hope I can get it re-opened.

In the mean time, does hse have a website?

Sounds like she is in Italy?! ?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I'm locked out of my Twitter account right now. I signed up, and didn't have a mobile plan at the time, and they suspended my account even though I have never used it.

Why did you not sign up with just an email address?

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Why did you not sign up with just an email address?

I did sign up with my business e-mail address, but Twitter is being a real PITA...

The ONLY reason I finally broke down and lost my virginity and got a mobile plan for my former (camera only) iPhone is to get these flipping security codes.

I think what caused the original issue was that I signed up with my VPN on - that is a big no-no after like 2019!! :rolleyes:

Over the past month, I have had to fight with Twitter bots trying to get my account unlocked, then when I did they wanted a mobile # - whch I didn't have until yesterday - and I would get locked out again.

Have had my Twitter business account for a month, and never sent a single tweet?!

Last night I was going to add my mobile # and even set up 2FA, but even though I was logegd it, when I went to do things it said my account was "suspended".

So now I have yet another ticket in to try and get this fixed.

It's the most messed up situation I've ever seen, BUT "you get what you pay for"!!

Last edited by a moderator:

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Generally it's an avatar. What's your company? Some people just use a logo / first letter of their co, or initials.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Generally it's an avatar. What's your company? Some people just use a logo / first letter of their co, or initials.

Okay, it's an "avatar".

Well, I'd prfer not give the name out, but like I said it is 10 characers long, so when I put my whole company name in a circle, the copany name looks pretty tiny. Especially when the "avatar" background is white, because then all you see is what looks like 4 point font with my company name in it?!

So for avatars, you are saying that just using something like the first initial of my company name is a better choice, right?

Unfortunately I don't have a logo yet, and just use my tradename, with colored font.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Okay, it's an "avatar".

Well, I'd prfer not give the name out, but like I said it is 10 characers long, so when I put my whole company name in a circle, the copany name looks pretty tiny. Especially when the "avatar" background is white, because then all you see is what looks like 4 point font with my company name in it?!

So for avatars, you are saying that just using something like the first initial of my company name is a better choice, right?

Unfortunately I don't have a logo yet, and just use my tradename, with colored font.
Have you contacted Maria del Sol? (Or has she been in contact with you?) I think she would easily (and for cheap) fix your problem for you

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Have you contacted Maria del Sol? (Or has she been in contact with you?) I think she would easily (and for cheap) fix your problem for you

No, I haven't heard from her.

I dunno, I looked at her portfolio and it looked more targeted towards teenage girls than businesses like mine.

Since I don't need a formal logo, and my company name is too long, I'll probably just use the first letter on the name.

Reactions: cdcastillo

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I would argue that a logo will help your brand immensely, and will be better represented on social media platforms.

@Mr_Brightside_@,

Oh, I get the whole idea for branding.

But for now, my logo is my company name - as a word - but with colored font.

Think: Microsoft

Yeah, not too fancy, but certainly acceptable for now.

And the problem with a "Tradename", as opposed to a "Trademark", is that fitting a company name that is 10 characters long inside a circle makes it hard to read the company name by virtue of geometry!! :)

So while some day I might come up with a "Trademark"/logo that works better with a circular avatar, for now that's not really an option.

That being said, what should I do?

The only options that I can think of are just using the first letter - which is kinda lame - or maybe I could "wrap" my company name inside the circle, but that would only minimally improve the readability.

(Of course, if the jerks at Twitter don't unlock my never-used account, none of this really matters!!) :mad:

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
You're obviously taking your business seriously - I saw what you wrote about domain names.

I don't personally love the idea of it, but Fiverr would be a good place to find an affordable logo designer. Social media logos tend to be circular or square, so perhaps a square logo would work, as that can crop nicely to a circular frame.

If you want to stick to the trade name only, perhaps a three line version would be more visually appealing, and work better with circular, than a two line:

Mic
ro
soft

or something.

Reactions: Texas_Toast

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
You're obviously taking your business seriously

Indeed! :)

I saw what you wrote about domain names.

What did I say?

I think I own over 100 domain names, to block of space around my federally registered tradename, so maybe that is what you mean?

I don't personally love the idea of it, but Fiverr would be a good place to find an affordable logo designer.

Good reminder.

Social media logos tend to be circular or square, so perhaps a square logo would work, as that can crop nicely to a circular frame.

The whole thing is backwards...

You don't create a brand/tradename/trademark/logo to fit conveniently inside a circle, well, unles you were born in the social media era?! :p

Which is why I'm pretty set for right now keeping the tradename that I have.

If you want to stick to the trade name only, perhaps a three line version would be more visually appealing, and work better with circular, than a two line:

Mic
ro
soft

or something.

Yeah, I'll have to experiment.

Between learning mobile and social media and video editing, my head is spinning right now.

I forget if I created this thread for Twitter or YouTube?

Things don't look good for me on Twitter as my never-used account is suspended and no humans reply.

Last I checked last week, I do have a YouTube account and after I learn how to edit some video I shot, I'll try to create a YouTube channel, and then I can see what makes sense for a brand/logo in there.

Thanks!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Sign up for another Twitter, and add an underscore to the name or something. Unless they have an appeals process it will probably be the fastest way of getting on there.

Reactions: Texas_Toast

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Sign up for another Twitter, and add an underscore to the name or something. Unless they have an appeals process it will probably be the fastest way of getting on there.

I already missed a couple of breaking news issues in the U.S. over the last 5 weeks... *sigh*

It's so ironic that most people can't get the Twitter handle they want - especially if they waited years to get one after getting a domain name - and in my case I got the one I wanted but now I cannot use it?!

Am hoping that I'll hear back from them this week.

My fear is if I create another twitter accout and link it to my company email and cell #, that such an action my completely lock me out from ever getting back my original company name/brand...

(I need some Twitter experts to help me figure out how to get out of this social media hell that I have fallen into!)

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
The harsh reality here is if — and that’s a big “if” — you want to get into digital marketing, you have to align with the medium. You can stay old school and succeed! Keep a landline, don’t get a mobile number, etc. Time-honored marketing methods will always work.
But if you want to do this digital marketing thing, you’re going to have to start approaching it with an adventurous mindset instead of an antagonistic mindset.
I get it. I really do. But it’s better to wrap your arms around the pain of change, seeing it as an adventure. Otherwise you’ll always see your phone and your social media marketing efforts as a secret enemy.
Side note: I’m curious why you don’t want us to become customers. Why do you want to keep us in the dark about your company name? Is it NSFW or are you not ready for customers yet?
Good luck! ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.